Sluggish performance

Started by cyphyr, May 24, 2020, 07:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Quote from: cyphyr on May 26, 2020, 01:54:11 PM
Quote from: Kadri on May 26, 2020, 01:41:24 PM...

After using two instances of Terragen getting the render view to the front is hard too.
I can only get to view the render window by minimizing the main GUI.
Yes I have noticed something similar too, although always.
A render finishes and drops behind the Terragen window and refuses to come to the front. Only by minimising Terragen will the render output be the forefront window.
Yes exactly.

WAS

On AMD systems you have to manually set the RAM clock speed, FYI. It won't go to stock clock speeds automatically. I had to manually set my 32gb DIMMs to 3200 in BIOS. But I see yout got that!

Is your RAM really 1600mhz? That's Really slow, honestly. That won't see great performance in workstation duties, really. Maybe you can get away overclocking it a bit. Are these DIMMS single channel, is that why they are so slow? If so, that will also heavily impact performance. My system originally came with on stick of 1200mhz single-channel 8GB. It was dog slow. Games stuttered, renders took at least 10-20% longer.

cyphyr

The Ram is Dual Channel so 1600 x 2 = 3200 or at least that is my understanding of how it works.

CPUz picks it up as 1596.8MHz so close enough.

Unfortunately the the AM4 socket (Ryzen) doesn't support quad-channel memory.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Ah that makes sense. It thought what you had on the DIMM itself or bios was 1600 and was definitely confused.

Nala1977

just out of curiosity, everyone who has this issue is using an AMD?
i always been on Intel family, i was thinking to get a new workstation with a 3950x ryzen 9, but im reading here and there some issues and this gets me concerned.

RogueNZ

I'm running a 3900x with 64gb RAM and gtx1070 and not experiencing any noticeable issues. Very pleased with the investment. Standard view port is slow but nothing that bothers me greatly.

cyphyr

Quote from: RogueNZ 27/05/2020, 09:29:26
Quote from: RogueNZ on May 27, 2020, 04:29:26 AMI'm running a 3900x with 64gb RAM and gtx1070 and not experiencing any noticeable issues. Very pleased with the investment. Standard view port is slow but nothing that bothers me greatly.
That is almost the same setup as I have.

Do you mind if I ask what memory you are using and what Motherboard?
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Tangled-Universe

Yes AMD here too (3960X).
Quote from: Nala1977 on May 27, 2020, 04:16:05 AMjust out of curiosity, everyone who has this issue is using an AMD?
i always been on Intel family, i was thinking to get a new workstation with a 3950x ryzen 9, but im reading here and there some issues and this gets me concerned.

Yes AMD here too (3960X).

KyL

AMD here too. I am not sure if this is a general issue or if I am just pushing Terragen too hard sometimes...

KlausK

Intel Dual Xeon E5-2640v3 8 Cores each

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

I have Ryzen 5 2600 and 32gb Vengeance 3200 on a b450 with no issues. Only a minute off from 2600x on benchmark results so that seems within reason, and 2600x and 2600 make decent time.

Only issue I have is slow PT when render is about halfway done. But seen this same thing posted about Intel. And my dual Xeons on my server has same issue. I get like 45-65% usage on my CPUs from about 40% of the render on

Kadri

Yes AMD too here; Ryzen 9 3650X.

I doubt that this is only AMD related. Maybe more about having many cores?
I had similar problems too with my Intel setup.
Problems become more pronounced after RTP especially (looked so to me at least).
But anything is possible of course.
And no i would still buy this CPU. It is so fast with renders :)

Dune

Interesting information, as I will likely invest in another machine this year, especially for TG renders.

RogueNZ

Quote from: cyphyr on May 27, 2020, 05:04:41 AMQuote from: RogueNZ 27/05/2020, 09:29:26
Quote from: RogueNZ on May 27, 2020, 04:29:26 AMI'm running a 3900x with 64gb RAM and gtx1070 and not experiencing any noticeable issues. Very pleased with the investment. Standard view port is slow but nothing that bothers me greatly.
That is almost the same setup as I have.

Do you mind if I ask what memory you are using and what Motherboard?

Corsair Vengeance 64gb (4 x 16gb), I think it is this one: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M4B3200C16. I never got the standard 3200 profile to work, kept crashing, so it's currently set at 1543Mhz.

Mobo is Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi

cyphyr

Hmm well the memory is the same (exactly!)

My MoBo is not as good as yours, I think I jumped too soon as the boards were only just being released and I was on a budget (Asus PRIME X570-P).

I do remember people complaining that the Ryzens were not running at full advertised spec when they were first release and a bios update was released that was supposed to address this. I never found out anything further though so there may be something to look into there.
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\