Sluggish performance

Started by cyphyr, May 24, 2020, 07:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

I think it's coincidence that some of the systems reported are AMD.

raymoh

Quote from: KlausK on May 26, 2020, 01:15:46 PMIs the 3D view on or paused while clicking and dragging a node connection?

When it is not paused it seems it is constantly trying to rerender renew the viewport which causes high cpu utilization and hickups in mouse movement on my box.

Can`t you put the graphics card from your old system in the render machine to test?
I used different GPUs in the Xeon box and there was no noticable difference in viewport response behaviour.
Now I use a Nvidia GTX 1070i with 8GB of RAM. Well, if that is not enough, what is.
I bet, even newer cards would not take this pain away.

CHeers, Klaus
Same here: I got an iMac Pro running:
3.2GHz 8-core Intel Xeon W
64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB
When Terragen (4.4.44) runs for a few hours, I have here a general slowdown of all commands that are entered. Single clicks sometimes take seconds until they are executed. In this state a single change (e.g. in a node or similar) can cause Terragen to crash without an error message. If additionally a sample render is running in the background, it gets even worse. I have to wait and have a coffee until I can continue working. But Terragen hardly needs any resources of my Mac, at most 10-12 GB Ram are needed, but the CPU runs hot with all cores above 90° Celsius. The fans are of course in continuous operation.
But the most tedious thing is, as KlausK already mentioned, that the 3D Preview tries to update the preview after every smallest change. This slows down the workflow immensely. I would be fine if you could switch off the 3D Preview manually until you really need it.
Let me get this straight: Of course I know that you can pause/stop the 3D preview, but you have to think about that in the "heat of the moment" and that doesn't work reliably either. As soon as you change the tab in the bar (e.g. from "Atmosphere" to "shaders") the game with the preview starts again from the beginning, despite the fact that I actually stopped preview...
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on May 28, 2020, 03:45:47 AMI do remember people complaining that the Ryzens were not running at full advertised spec when they were first release and a bios update was released that was supposed to address this. I never found out anything further though so there may be something to look into there.

I don't remember a bios update for this, most boards are on original AM4 bios, like mine.

I do know most people complaining about this were coming from Intel and didn't understand AMD TDP situation and how to cool properly to reach max clock speeds.

For example, because I have stock cooler, I can get 3.78 - 3.8ghz boost, it will not sustain 3.9ghz boost as advertised because of thermal load.