too computer-generated?

Started by René, June 12, 2020, 07:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

Hmm... sometimes, while I'm experimenting, textures like this emerge. I usually reject them because they look too unlikely and too computer-generated. :P

N-drju

So many artefacts. The nature was asleep that day. :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I still think it's pretty amazing what you get out of TG, rockwise. Maybe it's the lack of small debris and too smooth lines. If you would be able to mask certain areas and add some rubble, and break smoothness by tiny warp or displacement locally, it would be perfect!

Nala1977

looking around lately on some rocks formation, these are quite nice, thats a photo, to me it doesnt look that computer generated (in terms of shapes).
That picture is really nice, must be a pain to reproduce it in Tg :)

Jo Kariboo

I was gonna scream genius!  ::) I didn't realize it was a picture!

Dune

I was kind of fooled too, thought René had a new rock, actually. He could have, that's for sure. But it would still need some work :P

WAS

I think I started a topic about sharing images like this which we would "reseed" thinking they're wrong. This is definitely one of them.

Kadri

I see this in clouds lately and think i wouldn't use that at all :)

René

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it's a picture. When I did a google search I first saw the thumbnail picture and thought: hey, computer generated. It wasn't until I opened the picture that I realized it was real. I had no intention of fooling anyone.

N-drju

Just look at the title bar Guys. 8)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

raymoh

Maybe this is too philosophical now, but I have made the experience that most of the "landscapes" you can generate in the computer are reality somewhere. I have already designed the "most impossible" sceneries for my Space Art pictures and yet later I had to realize that these landscapes exist in a similar way. Maybe it is related to the fact that the algorithms that calculate these landscapes in such programs are somehow universal. A lot of things have to do with fractals and chaos theory in some way, and the results may be "random", but still have a "predictable" background. So perhaps the phrase "too computer-generated" does not even exist... Even "flying rocks" like in Avatar could exist somewhere.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

René

I agree. One of the most interesting books I've read on this subject is James Gleick's Chaos. Nature works with algorithms too.

Dune

You have a point. So everything we make is realistic, good to know ;D  (just joking)

raymoh

There is a very interesting theory (quantum physics, not esotericism!) that says that everything you can imagine is reality somewhere and sometime. Maybe not in our universe, but in another (parallel) universe. "There is nothing that does not exist".
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

PabloMack

I am just wondering what about it makes it look CG? The holes you see are common in rivers with rapids. The currents cause sand to race around and drill them out over long expanses of time.