WIP- Jo Kariboo

Started by Jo Kariboo, June 13, 2020, 10:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: sboerner on July 06, 2020, 11:00:34 AMAgree with others about the sense of scale and majesty here. Glad I am not judging this contest, there are so many outstanding entries. Good luck with this.
Thanks sboerner!

zaxxon

A majestic image with an awesome scale! An old friend of mine who taught in Japan for a number of years told me of an extremely popular Japanese Beer commercial; it involved the famous Japanese film star Toshiro Mifune, pulled up in a Winnebago RV at the base of the Eastern side of Mt Whitney (14k +), he steps out and opens his beer and drinks up followed by a long sigh of pleasure while looking up at the mountains. Just that. Your image has that same captivating quality. Good Luck!

Jo Kariboo

Just for fun!
Another idea I had on the theme TRAVELERS was to approach the subject as a metaphor. A seed of a plant found on the top of a mountain and having managed to take root very far from its country of origin.
The starry sky in the second image is from WAS (Cosmic Background (Stars and Galaxy) (2019 Night Sky)

Barefoots

Like your variant idea. 

Your main entry is excellent. Love the composition and the scale comparison. Gives a good grounding to the scene and a sense of realism.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted

Dune

Yeah, these are very good and different from 'usual'. Travelers can indeed encompas a lot. But how open are judges for the subtle?

N-drju

Jo, that's an ingenious idea - I love that plant metaphor!

And the way the flower seems to gaze into outer space, thinking about new places to colonize? A truly poetic and bold vision. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hetzen

Agree, its a great story and images. It's tough to decide what to focus on with such an open brief. I think you chose right in the end.

luvsmuzik

I, in no way think that your creativity was ever stifled. All images are contest worthy and just when we are in love with the camper's view, you subtly gives us a natural viewpoint. Just wonderful images and best of luck.  :)

KyL

That's one of my personal favorite. The sense of scale, loneliness and awe make it a truly inspiring picture. Well done.

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Dune on July 07, 2020, 02:00:45 AMYeah, these are very good and different from 'usual'. Travelers can indeed encompas a lot. But how open are judges for the subtle?
But how open are judges for the subtle?

Thanks Ulco!
It is difficult to know from the judges' backgrounds with films such as TRANSFORMERS, SUPERMAN, TRON LEGACY, BLOODSHOT etc. whether they would be interested in a simple flower on a mountain to express the subject TRAVELLERS.
I believe, as say Hetzen, that I nevertheless made a good choice of the image I presented. The image is self-explanatory.

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: N-drju on July 07, 2020, 03:53:10 AMJo, that's an ingenious idea - I love that plant metaphor!

And the way the flower seems to gaze into outer space, thinking about new places to colonize? A truly poetic and bold vision. :)
Thanks N-drju!

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Hetzen on July 07, 2020, 08:49:34 AMAgree, its a great story and images. It's tough to decide what to focus on with such an open brief. I think you chose right in the end.
Thanks Hetzen!