Nested populations and so on

Started by uuderzo, June 21, 2020, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uuderzo

Trying to populate a terrain with bushes whose leaves where populated by spheres (to simulate snow) seems to crash TG.
Are nested populations supported?

Moreover... trying to use a sphere object for a population makes TG crash, looks like the object must be read from file.
I'm i right?

Dune

Populations on populations doesn't work yet. The sphere is a displacable object that doesn't populate either.

WAS

Yeah you would need to import your own sphere object. You can still force displacement on the spheres, but I believe it'll need to be a super high poly sphere.

uuderzo

So the native Terragen objects are not mesh based but mathematically computed on demand? I understand why the population cannot handle them.

On the other side I expected that displacement applied to a mesh object would cause a subdivision when needed to keep high the polycount.

WAS

Quote from: uuderzo on June 21, 2020, 02:55:54 PMOn the other side I expected that displacement applied to a mesh object would cause a subdivision when needed to keep high the polycount.

No, i don't think the obj/tgo/lwo readers do subdivision on the fly. I believe only the rock object has subdivision, which you can manually set. This would be nice, actually though. Especially just doctoring old populations with angular branches etc without creating a whole new object or overwriting the old on disk.

Kadri

I don't remember if it is fixed (the last time i asked a while ago it was not) now.
But if you get strange population problems it might be because of rotating the populator other then angles like zero, 90 etc.
Just to be aware :)
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21503.msg216026.html#msg216026