Some low clouds over simple terrain

Started by KlausK, July 07, 2020, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Hi everyone, as the title says...
Simple mountains, displaced cube as flat terrain and two layers of generic low clouds.
No plants. Only displacement.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hetzen

Simple is often the most effective. Very close to a photograph.

cyphyr

Great result, very realistic.
Why did you choose to displace a cube rather than the planet surface? No crit, just curious.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

amandas

Quote from: KlausK on July 07, 2020, 08:22:51 AMHi everyone, as the title says...
Simple mountains, displaced cube as flat terrain and two layers of generic low clouds.
No plants. Only displacement.

CHeers, Klaus
Great sense of scale, I love it. One thing I would maybe develop further is post processing, playing with levels to make it a bit less grey. But that's just me ;) Really nice!
Artist / Developer
open for freelance / full project cycle
http://arturmandas.com

Hannes

Oh, that's beautiful! Wondering about your choice using a cube as well. Just curious...

Dune

Great, and something to keep in mind indeed, not too much clutter. Plain and simple, but beautiful.

KlausK

Thank you very much everyone for the nice comments!
Yeah, in this case the simple setup worked out really well.

The cube thing... there are a few reasons why I chose the displaceable cube for the flat terrain:

- the area the cube inherits is the masked out main terrain.
Using the cube object one can simply disable the rest of the scene and work on this object alone.
Very fast turnaround to get it right.
Even for doing variations: just copy the cube, disable the first one and work on the next one and so on.

- speaking of masks, I very often have trouble not to influence shapes and displacements in other areas
when using networks of surface layer nodes with masking.
I loose track of what node to put where when the network gets complicated to get the desired result.

- in this case its only 2 simple Power Fractals (one for colour, one for displacement) on the cube.
Just enough to get the scale and the appearance of grass blobs and bushes scattered.
Much easier to get there than with different populations.
But close-ups would not be possible because the structures are actually spikes.

- the cube is tilted here towards the viewer so you get a better view on the far end.
This hides the hard line in front of the mountain range and the flickering is reduced with the small displacements.
And to get the really flat areas in the plain I only needed to reduce the y-position of the cube.
The terrain / planet is coming through. Merges nicely. Doing all this within a network would be not that easy (for me).

- The main reason I think is - this simply was the right thing to do for this project. ::)

I guess, that`s about it. Thank`s again for commenting.
CHeers, Klaus

@amandas: I saved it as 32bit exr. Maybe I can do something with that. The Haze value is quite high so it greys the scene out a little.
To get the balance right with all the settings...dooh ;)
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

amandas

Quote from: KlausK on July 08, 2020, 05:35:48 AMThank you very much everyone for the nice comments!
Yeah, in this case the simple setup worked out really well.

The cube thing... there are a few reasons why I chose the displaceble cube for the flat terrain:

- the area the cube inherits is the masked out main terrain.
Using the cube object one can simply disable the rest of the scene and work on this object alone.
Very fast turnaround to get it right.
Even for doing variations: just copy the cube, disable the first one and work on the next one and so on.

- speaking of masks, I very often have trouble not to influence shapes and displacements in other areas
when using networks of surface layer nodes with masking.
I loose track of what node to put where when the network gets complicated to get the desired result.

- in this case its only 2 simple Power Fractals (one for colour, one for displacement) on the cube.
Just enough to get the scale and the appearance of grass blobs and bushes scattered.
Much easier to get there than with different populations.
But close-ups would not be possible because the structures are actually spikes.

- the cube is tilted here towards the viewer so you get a better view on the far end.
This hides the hard line in front of the mountain range and the flickering is reduced with the small displacements.
And to get the really flat areas in the plain I only needed to reduce the y-position of the cube.
The terrain / planet is coming through. Merges nicely. Doing all this within a network would be not that easy (for me).

- The main reason I think is - this simply was the right thing to do for this project. ::)

I guess, that`s about it. Thank`s again for commenting.
CHeers, Klaus

@amandas: I saved it as 32bit exr. Maybe I can do something with that. The Haze value is quite high so it greys the scene out a little.
To get the balance right with all the settings...dooh ;)
32 bit EXR - you've got a plenty of space to tweak :) I would use levels and narrow down the spectrum to what is in histogram, or even lose some darks/whites. Maybe also a bit of curves/LUTs. It's a great scene and IMHO it would really benefit much from even a quick and dirty color correction. To get rid of the grey haze I would suggest maybe color selection or midtones selection, then tweaking. The best tool I know for this is DaVinci Resolve (free version enough!), but that's mostly for anims, Affinity Photo or Photoshop is good enough in most cases :)
Artist / Developer
open for freelance / full project cycle
http://arturmandas.com

KlausK

@amandas: thanks for the hints how to do this. My experience in this field is quite limited.
Gonna give it a try sooner or later.

Thank you, Kariboo!
CHeers, Klaus