Quarry Stone Wall - sort of

Started by KlausK, July 09, 2020, 05:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

Hey, thinking of doing a rural landscape with quarry stone walls, old ruined house and the like.
Imagine Ireland, Scotland, France Bretangne or something like that.
From imagination, not using reference so far. Maybe when I get serious :)
First test for a quarry stone wall structure.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

N-drju

That looks really good actually - real displacements. Native cube?

So you want to use it for walls, did I get that right?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Looks good already. I've done a landscape with these walls around paddocks once (the ones you find in Ireland and Scotland indeed), by using a PS mask (but simple shapes work too, of course) and wall displacement 1.5m up, followed by fake stones, world position. Works nicely.

KlausK

Thank you both.

@N-drju: it is the TG displaceable cube object I use. Very versatile object, useful for a lot of things and quick to handle.
It`s only one Power Fractal and a Fake Stone shader which sits on the cube. Again, a very simple network.
Should be good enough for midrange shots. For close-ups there should be more detail, I think.
And yes, something like this for old houses, castle like buildings or walls around paddocks like Dune wrote.
Not sure yet... Let`s see where this takes me.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Hannes

KlausK

thanks, Hannes. Sorry for being so late with a notice.
Here is something else I am trying with the displaceable cube.
To me it looks a little like a heavy wooden pole you find in a harbour or something like that.
Two thirds under water, the rest used by seagulls and others ;)

I always have trouble gettingrid of the strange displacements on the edges aka round corners of the cube.
But for a view from the distance this should work.

CHeers, Klaus

KlausK

KlausK

Another test with the displacable cube object of Terragen.

CHeers, Klaus

DocCharly65

KlausK

Thank you, Doc!

Now that I have some nice displacements and warps and stuff going on the displacable cube,
I am trying to find a - rather painless - way to use this as a building block.
Like a tileable map so to speak. But with Fractal Warp Shaders involved I cannot get it to work easily.
As soon as you move the cube away from the origin, the warp is gone somewhere in "space".
I thought that, because I had it embedded in a clipfile inside the cube it would be tied to its object space. Nope.
Tried to use Transform Shaders in every position inside the network I could think of, but it has not the effect I am after.

I guess I don`t know how to use TG good enough, to get this done. If anyone has an idea...
I keep fiddling on and on ;)

CHeers, Klaus

Dune

I don't think you can move the warps and displacements with the block. I think the way the cube works is the same as the planet, so any noise will automatically be 'world space'. Which is different from imported (non-dispacable) cube/shapes. So I guess it's best to move basic blocks to where you want them, then make a line of displacements and warps and feed it into the blocks. At least that's how I work.

KlausK

Thank you, Dune.

That is the workflow I was trying to avoid, actually.

I`ll keep fiddling...;)

CHeers, Klaus