Traces of deleted files

Started by N-drju, July 19, 2020, 04:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Guys, I need two questions answered.

1. Is it possible to find any traces of programs and applications that have been previously installed on a computer or a hard drive?

2. What happens in the case of a total hard drive format? Is there any place that allows a machine to store what software has been installed on a computer prior to format? Or... yes... even two or three formats back...?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

1) In SOME cases programs will leave a Registry Entry with some bare data that tells the system it has been installed before, such as keeping user saved setting stored in local temp. However, often, most programs when uninstalled remove all temp data, and registry values unless an option to save personal settings.

2) You can, for most software, copy most installed programs, including their temp files and user setting files, and then use RegEdit to export the registry of the software. Than on the new machine you can import the stuff back to its respective locations, and import the registry value. In most sane scenarios this works fine. Some programs though log the systems ID, and other identifiers to prevent this.

Note recovering data from a formatted hard drive is often fragmented at best, as the drive will write in blocks and the new OS and data will likely overwrite a lot of data. Some recovery is possible, but usually in a third party environment.

Dune

I have used cloning software to 'copy' a whole HD, and paste it on a new HD. Worked fine, though I always find this a bit scary. And possibly fresh installs of all software is cleaner and better, but much more work.
I have also retrieved deleted files with third party software. Wols to a degree, what WAS says, depends on the amount of fragmenting.

N-drju

So what you say is that one could theoretically be able to determine that, say, "This computer had a copy of 'Microsoft Excel' installed two OSs back"? Is that correct?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I don't know who you're responding too, but I guess so. Just depends on what files can be retrieved after a few rounds of fracturing and overwriting.

WAS

Also a note, if you didn't use quick format (which you shouldn't for HDD health), you will likely not be able to recovery data with Windows 10, I think it uses newer deletion methods similar to old USSRs GOST, meant to sanitize data deletion so it can't be recovered, for security concerns (like selling a HDD that was part of a company). Least not unless you're the FEDs or something. I'm sure there are ways.

amandas

I had many cases of malfunctioning disk drives or deleted data, so can share my experience (though it was quite a while ago):

Regular format - it just deletes partition table. Data are there. Use soft like R-Studio.
Low-level format - lower chance, I would suggest using a professional service.
Bad disc (electronics/physical damage) - professional service, I had what seemed to me hopeless cases, but managed to get 99% of data back.

Hope that helps.
Artist / Developer
open for freelance / full project cycle
http://arturmandas.com

N-drju

Ok, thanks for all the answers guys!

The thing is I need to revert back to Windows 8.1. I just want to make sure that what I get is a clean install with no leftovers from the previous system at all.

I have reset my system using the "Settings" tab, only to find out that Windows 10 booted up again... Well, at least the disk is purged.

Now I know, that I need to use BIOS and change the boot order so that disc with Windows 8.1 runs first. Does that sound right?

In case you ask; no - I am not a fugitive, have no proof of ET life or ballot frauds. :P

Dune

N-drju

So, yesterday I have completed Windows re-installation and I guess it works. ;) The only problem I experience is a significant lag in one of my games (yeah, I do play sometimes) but I don't think it has anything to do with the Windows reinstallation itself. Much less GPU, as I didn't even touch it...

In case anyone needs it, here's the video I used to learn how it's done. The guy really knows his trade! Probably a German too. :P

Dune

Good that I never 'upgraded' to 10 :)

N-drju

I start to believe that Windows 10 will go down in history as Windows Vista's evil twin. Quite a lot of hype and a delayed realization that the preceding version was better.

KlausK

To me it`s not quite clear which OS you now reinstalled? 8.1 or 10?
Why did you not just take out the Win 10 HDD, put a new one in and installe your former OS?
Do you need a Utube video to do that?

My guess is that there is a driver problem somewhere in the line with that game. Mostly comes down to that.

Windows 10 surely is a pain when it comes to all the "security Features", the things it thinks are best for you as a user, maybe even the GUI.
But there are ways around that. I really don`t like the amount of control over the computer it is installed on they put in it.
And every major update/upgrade seems to break something. 8.1 was no better than Vista, actually. It was merely an inbetweener to 10.

BUT, it for sure runs much faster an any computer I installed it than 7, 8.1 and, of course, Vista.
And sooner or later we will experience problems with the software we run on Win 7 or 8.1 and have to turn to a more modern OS.
Or decide not to update/upgrade anymore and keep the Status Quo on a particular machine. Until the hardware breaks down...

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

N-drju

Quote from: KlausK on July 22, 2020, 05:22:19 AMWhy did you not just take out the Win 10 HDD, put a new one in and installe your former OS?

Because I do not have a spare hard drive, that's why... ::)

WAS

So it seems like your initial actual problem is you don't have genuine windows but what came with the PC; 8.1?

Windows 10 may have quirks, but the security and speed is unrivaled as far as past OS's go.

The game issue may be driver based, or just because you're not on Windows 10 and seeing all the game performance optimization such as full screen optimization. Additionally Windows 7/8.1 use more GPU RAM and PC RAM with games than Windows 10. Sometimes windows 10 uses more VRAM if game optimizations are on though.