How can I diagnose my hardware?

Started by N-drju, July 27, 2020, 03:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Hey Guys,

I've been wondering... Is there any tool that I could use in order to see if my hardware works correctly? The reason I ask is that I have recently been running into a weird and frustrating problem. Namely, a D3D error.

This error pops out when I run a piece of software and tab out of it to desktop using the Windows key. Strangely enough, when I tab out using the "Three Kings" all is good! ???

Nevermind the software mentioned - I would just like to get a conclusive answer, like "Yes, your hardware is well" or "No, your hardware is failing". I have found some topics that say D3D errors might be the first sign of GPU breaking up and I am really worried. :(

Do you know any diagnostic methods that I could use to check the condition of my hardware? I would sure appreciate it.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

No, not anything safe to use.

You need someone familiar with DirectX configurations, and Windows systems.

If ya want you can run dxdiag.exe (64-bit and 32-bit due to different levels of software access) and post the log here and I can see if I immediately spot any misconfiguraitons.

D3D errors are usually related to software/driver issues, unit failure would be on the extreme/rare side, and usually coupled with some sort of artifacting/crashing of the unit (not just the software but BSOD or GPU message after black screen about driver crash and GPU restored to default settings.). D3D just crashing the software with the OS running fine and no GPU issue, is likely software related. Drivers, illegal exceptions, improper usage of the API, etc, etc.

N-drju

Quote from: WAS on July 27, 2020, 03:54:59 PMIf ya want you can run dxdiag.exe (64-bit and 32-bit due to different levels of software access) and post the log here and I can see if I immediately spot any misconfiguraitons.

Gladly. Thanks for chiming in Jordan. Dxdiag attached.

I guess it is not the GPU failure then, whew... Indeed, I don't see any other alarming signals and it's just this one software that causes trouble. I can run Blender alright and this is GPU dependent as far as I know...?
DxDiag.txt
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

So two things I can deduce.

1) Windows is having critical errors installing service modules, including verifying file hashes, which could be potentially a security issue. It's also failed to installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8, which could be required by crashing programs.

2) GTA is crashing because of an issue with Player Location Data mod. You may be able to send the file: C:\Users\Andrzej\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_GTA5.exe_90d822898d9352676bd499b6de6d39b95866d_5a1aa924_01c18f9e to the developer for more help. But could be related to missing components from the game, an error in the mod, or a conflict in versioning.

N-drju

So, you did not notice anything directly related to the hardware, have you?

The errors you mentioned must have taken place while I was trying to install "paint.NET" image processing program. For some reason it attempts to install .Net 4.8 and other components on its own and... nothing happens. I guess it must be it?

True. I'm an avid modder. It's very likely that something has been misplaced or incorrectly installed! Granted, my games run flawless apart from this one problem. But why would the "Windows" key trigger a crash in GTA, and only there?

In any case, I do not notice anything alarming while running GPU-dependent programs like you say, could be the warning signs of the unit dying. I run most of them at an average of 55 FPS. Still, Blender and Terragen are, of course, the two most important items. ;)

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on July 28, 2020, 03:48:25 AMSo, you did not notice anything directly related to the hardware, have you?

The errors you mentioned must have taken place while I was trying to install "paint.NET" image processing program. For some reason it attempts to install .Net 4.8 and other components on its own and... nothing happens. I guess it must be it?

True. I'm an avid modder. It's very likely that something has been misplaced or incorrectly installed! Granted, my games run flawless apart from this one problem. But why would the "Windows" key trigger a crash in GTA, and only there?

In any case, I do not notice anything alarming while running GPU-dependent programs like you say, could be the warning signs of the unit dying. I run most of them at an average of 55 FPS. Still, Blender and Terragen are, of course, the two most important items. ;)

Try running in borderless fullscreens so no fullscreens optimizations are running and turning on/off with activating non-fullscreen elements like tabbing out. 

Or something the mod does when it goes idle maybe. 

I see no hardware warnings or errors, shader crashes, memory issues or anything with the GPU. All software errors from Windows Event Viewer.