The Gnomon Workshop - Natural Environment Creation Techniques

Started by KlausK, July 27, 2020, 05:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

This should be interesting:
http://www.cgchannel.com/2020/07/master-natural-environment-creation-for-visual-effects/
https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/natural-environment-creation-techniques

Lighting TD Alessandro Cangelosi uses Terragen, Houdini and Clarisse iFX in this six hour tutorial.
>>Quote:
"He begins in Terragen, Planetside Software's landscape generation tool, using the software to generate realistic clouds,
and to render backplates for use in image-based lighting.

Cangelosi then moves to Houdini to generate terrain, using the software's area masking system,
and to create rocks and fog, exporting in Alembic and VDB format.

All of the assets are then imported into Clarisse iFX, Isotropix's shot layout and lighting toolset,
along with vegetation from Quixel's Megascans library. Cangelosi blocks out the scene in Clarisse,
creates an initial lighting set-up, then dresses the set using key toolsets like particle painting, point clouds and scattering.

The workshop also explores how to create custom shaders for plants and terrain, and how to generate and apply colour variations
to instanced assets at different levels of detail. Cangelosi concludes by rendering the scene, ready for further look development inside Fusion."
>>End Quote

Nice, I am quite curious about this.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Pretty cool stuff, though disappointing to see it used again for just clouds and a backdrop for another software to do terrain, especially such basic landscape where everything could be done in TG. But whatever, each knows their tools best.

Dune

From what he shows, I think it can all be done within TG.

KlausK

"...it can all be done in TG."

Although I am sure of that, the same could be said for Houdini, Maya, Blender or Unreal etc.
Of course, this is not a TG exclusive tutorial. This is about production workflow.
In a production environment - not a one man or small group show - it would not be done in one application alone.
Besides, strictly speaking most of the work posted in this forum by anyone is a collaborative effort between applications.
It`s the nature of TG. You simply cannot create the assets you import as objects from other software.
But you`re aware of that, of course. So, I don`t think that`s the point.

I am interested in the workflow between the applications. Especially the one described in this tutorial.
Since that subject is not very often mentioned here.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

You're right. There's always more apps working. And especially in a group design, one may be better at one app than the other.