Space Volumetrics and the TG 2 final?

Started by nvseal, November 25, 2007, 12:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

My question is will there be any type of "space volumetrics" in TG 2 final or any time after. For example, will we someday be able to add a haze or 3d nebula inside TG 2 similar to the current atmosphere settings or clouds? I haven't heard of anything like that and I doubt there will be any but I'm still curious.  It would be useful to have more control over space scenes inside TG 2. :)

Cyber-Angel

I (IMHO) wouldn't think that we'd be seeing this kind of thing in the first commercial release of TG2 and if this stuff is planned its probably some thing that maybe seen some time in the future on the list of to dos like a waterfall system and procedural star-field generation, as some one who likes art by Tim White, Jim Burns and Bob Layzell any thing that would make the creation of such imagery easier would be welcomed (But I know, Terragen is not meant to be a space phenomena creation tool and so on and so forth), but what we want and what we get are two different beasts altogether.

Who knows when home computers are powerful enough it maybe possible to entire photorealistic procedural galaxies, accurate down to star clusters and planetary systems but that is decades in the future and probably in our life times, but maybe in the life time of our children or theirs, we can but dream.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel         

Oshyan

I believe the current volumetrics system is limited to working within the atmosphere. While there are no specific plans to support volumetric space effects, I think extending the volumetrics system to be more generalized and flexible would be valuable. So as part of doing that space-type volumetrics may become possible. This would definitely not occur until after the final release however.

- Oshyan

Matt

The main limitation right now is the design of the cloud layer node which was intended for a fairly limited purpose, but I intend to apply this to a much more general volumetrics shader at some point in the future. It should be fairly straightforward with what's in place already.

Oshyan: cloud layers can operate outside of the atmosphere as I showed you in that image of orbiting debris a couple of months ago :)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Will

Quote from: Matt on November 26, 2007, 12:10:35 PM
Oshyan: cloud layers can operate outside of the atmosphere as I showed you in that image of orbiting debris a couple of months ago :)

eh?

know about clouds outside atmo but orbital debris?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

Maybe the clouds looked like orbital debris... definitely something worth experimenting with.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

I'm acualy playing with making rings with clouds right now, interesting stuff.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Sethren

Quote from: Will on November 27, 2007, 07:08:10 PM
I'm acualy playing with making rings with clouds right now, interesting stuff.

Ah! Gas rings. Sound neat.    ;D

Oshyan

Quote from: Matt on November 26, 2007, 12:10:35 PM
The main limitation right now is the design of the cloud layer node which was intended for a fairly limited purpose, but I intend to apply this to a much more general volumetrics shader at some point in the future. It should be fairly straightforward with what's in place already.

Ohh right, I had forgotten. ;D This is definitely something to experiment with folks. ;)

- Oshyan