Photogrammetry test

Started by sjefen, September 03, 2020, 03:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

Hi,

Been testing photogrammetry lately. This is not a finished model.
It started raining so I wasn't able to take all the photos I needed, but I decided to test with what I had.

I'm gonna share the model once I finish it, so stay tuned if you're interested  ;)

Tree stump - 01c.jpg

Regards,
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

zaxxon

Looking great so far! If you don't mind, what camera and software are you using?

WAS

Looks pretty darn good.

sjefen

Quote from: zaxxon on September 03, 2020, 04:17:52 PMLooking great so far! If you don't mind, what camera and software are you using?
Some might get angry, but I just used my phone (Pixel 3A). I don't have anything else.

I should also mention that I've reduced the polycount on the model. It's originally of much higher detail, but I think this is good enough for most cases.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Is that software somewhat easy to use? I've wanted to do this for some time but the software ive come across is abandoned or really strange. Even matching doing what it says I'll get strange results.

DocCharly65

Dune

Terrific! For such camera the result is great. I believe I once saw some online tools to get your photo's processed, but can't remember where and what.

masonspappy

I've played with Meshroom a bit and had some decent results (although a lot of effort went into it).  I put smaller objects on a turntable I made, mounted the camera on a tripod and used a solid-color sheet as background so as not to tax the rendering software too much.

sjefen

So I forgot to tell what software's I've used:

- Meshroom: Turn the images into a 3d model.
- Blender: Just to delete unwanted mesh.
- InstantMeshes: To reduce the polycount.
- Blender again: To create the UV-map.
- Meshroom again: To create the textures on the new, lower poly model.
- Materialize: Mostly to create displacement maps from the textures and also "trying" to remove shadows from the diffuse image

All these software's are free ;D

Here's two tutorials I used that helped me:

I know it looks like a lot of work and many different software's to work with, but I promise this works and is not so difficult. It takes a while, but there are only I few buttons to press in each software and the rest of the job is just waiting. I've been trying this for a long time and failed, but this works and it's a lot easier than it looks.

Quote from: masonspappy on September 04, 2020, 02:28:18 AMI've played with Meshroom a bit and had some decent results (although a lot of effort went into it).  I put smaller objects on a turntable I made, mounted the camera on a tripod and used a solid-color sheet as background so as not to tax the rendering software too much.
All I did was load the picture's in and click calculate. Not much more effort except for also making it calculate the textures after the other steps, but basically I didn't do anything more than clicking a few buttons. I will experiment more. Maybe I was just lucky this time, but I've seen several videos about different approaches. Looks like people mostly agree that Meshroom doesn't seem to like the "turntable" approach. It's better to move around the object and take pictures instead of rotating the object itself. I don't know why, but people are getting better results that way. I hope this will help.

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dune

Thanks for sharing this info! Might be an interesting challenge.

sjefen

Quote from: Dune on September 04, 2020, 09:27:11 AMThanks for sharing this info! Might be an interesting challenge.
I forgot one software, Materialize. I've updated the workflow.

You should definitely try this. I know it looks like a lot of work, but it's mostly just pressing some buttons, then wait, press some more buttons and wait. The computer does the hard work. Compare this to modeling such a detailed trunk and also have to create the textures afterwards, I'll do this every time it's possible

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Jo Kariboo

Very nice work and the results are impressive! Thanks for the information.

Hannes

Cool!! I always wanted to do that. Maybe if I'll find the time. Thanks for the tips!

sboerner

Really impressive! Keep us posted on your efforts here, please. And thanks for listing all of the software and video tutorials. A great project for a rainy day. :)

sjefen

Did another test with a rock.

The weather here is bad all the time. It's always raining, so this rock was still wet in some places and I think that messed up my texture. It was very hard to fix the dark/wet areas, but I don't think it turned out as garbage. What do you think?

This is the same rock, but from different angles:

Rock 01c.jpg

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB