Blender 2.9

Started by sboerner, September 06, 2020, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

For all you fellow modelers out there . . . Blender 2.9 was released a few days ago: https://www.blender.org/download/releases/2-90/. Some new features and many small improvements.

I've been thinking about switching over from Maya and this could be the version that clinches it. Been using Blender 2.8 exclusively for the past few weeks and all I can say is: Wow. They're really nailing this.

WAS

Wow they are making major releases quick now.

sboerner

That's what I thought. They have posted a pretty ambitious timeline for future updates, too.

FWIW here are three Blender addons that I've found to be indispensable. The first two fill some gaps in Blender's native UV mapping tools, and the last one provides better (as the name says) export for FBX animations:

UV Toolkit
Texel Density Checker
Better FBX Importer & Exporter

mhall

The growth of their development fund has reached over $120K in monthly contributions, allowing them to have 20 full time programming staff. Plus, every year, they take advantage of the Google Summer of Code to get up to 6 other programmers on board to work on focused, 12 week projects which Google pays for. The projects don't always end up being high enough quality that they make it into the finished codebase, but more and more, they are. This year's GSOC just wrapped up and will hopefully be bringing, amongst other things, a much more customizable menu editing system, a new faster and more accurate cloth/soft body solver, lots more improvements to their Scene Outliner (the same programmer who improved it during GSOC last year returned for another go around this year), a much faster OBJ importer (with the developer planning to stick around to implement additional formats they weren't able to get to).

Much like with TG, I lurk and have been following the development for the past seven years or so. They're cooking with some serious gas ...

They've also really managed to activate their core field and - with the 2.8x UI overhaul - generate some serious interest in the wider field. The majority of their $120K monthly income comes in the form of donations/grants from corporations - nVidia, AMD, MS, Intel, Epic Games, Unreal, Unity, etc. - so other companies in the field are really investing in the future of the platform.

Some people are doing some really nice environmental work as well - architecture, post-apocalyptic, landscape. I've often wondered if it might unseat/supplant TG for many people as it has such a broad range of capabilities and they've recently been working on OpenVBD support as well as new sky models.

They're looking pretty solid!

Dune

Cool. Intimidating at first sight, but worth checking out. Thanks Steve.

sboerner

QuoteThe growth of their development fund has reached over $120K in monthly contributions, allowing them to have 20 full time programming staff.
Interesting, along with all the other info in your post, mhall. Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about making a modest annual contribution to the cause.

I've been reading some interesting old posts on their development forum, including some unvarnished critiques regarding their old UI and inconsistent tool shortcuts, etc. It looks like they have been taking some of this criticism to heart; hopefully the result will extend Blender's reach into the industry. (The Renderman plugin may be good evidence of this.)

QuoteIntimidating at first sight, but worth checking out.

The learning curve is actually pretty gentle now, because of the well-organized UI and less need to memorize many cryptic keyboard shortcuts. A good time to learn.

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on September 07, 2020, 06:10:54 PMThe learning curve is actually pretty gentle now, because of the well-organized UI and less need to memorize many cryptic keyboard shortcuts. A good time to learn.

Oh wow, I may actually be able to learn now! My dyslexia really messes me up with all the keyboard shortcuts. I'd end up doing things that were irreversible by accident and have to start over.

mhall

Quote from: sboerner on September 07, 2020, 06:10:54 PMInteresting, along with all the other info in your post, mhall. Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about making a modest annual contribution to the cause.
I have been considering the same thing as well. There are a number of ways to support the program. One is to become a member of the Blender Cloud. This money helps to run the foundation and the studio side of things. The membership includes access to quite a bit of training material, 1000s of files for download (including production files from their Open Movie productions, character rigs, textures and HDRIs). Everything they do is CC0 licensed, so you can use it however you like. (https://cloud.blender.org/welcome)