Space Rocks

Started by WAS, September 09, 2020, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Working on a asteroid/comet generator thingy to go with my stars generator.

All procedural and stuff. Basic crater generator I made. Atmosphere/dust is constrained to planetoid body.

KyL

Wow this looks fantastic! :o

Could really be a photograph taken from a deep space probe. A few craters seem to stretch a bit but it is totally forgivable and would probably even be possible in real life.

Awesome!

Ariel DK

How many NASA's asteroids images were you seeing today?

Jordan: yes.  ;D

Nice work as usual, i'm really curious about the dust/atmo constrained to planetoid body. need a hint there...
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

WAS

Quote from: Ariel DK on September 09, 2020, 12:36:40 PMHow many NASA's asteroids images were you seeing today?

Jordan: yes.  ;D

Nice work as usual, i'm really curious about the dust/atmo constrained to planetoid body. need a hint there...

Check this out Ariel DK. It's just Altitude offset with desires depth and stuff.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. I want a little more roughage and detail and I think I'm getting somewhere. And yeah, the redirect to really give the planetoid body some kick does seem to stretch and warp the texture coordinates, could be realistic. Not noticeable in other seeds so far, just this one, but I did kinda like them, like it was rotating into impacts.

Ariel DK

Quote from: WAS on September 09, 2020, 12:48:51 PMCheck this out Ariel DK. It's just Altitude offset with desires depth and stuff.

Ahg... simple and clean. i made a quick try to this before, without to much success, i can't find the file right now. thank you btw!
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

Dune

Great rocks. I do hope they keep well away from earth.

WAS

Yeah especially one this size, not quite dinosaur killer size, but at 50,000m (50km), we still wouldn't want it coming close to earth.

WAS

Same geometry as A2 WIP, but this time there is texture coordinates which fixes the crater stretching with the terrain, and I've added a lateral offset to naturalize the shape imo. Changed some surface shaders a bit too.

This version isn't PT. Last is. I don't see too much of a benefit with PT here, and it goes from an hour and a half render to over 9 hours with PT (at 2440x2440 MPD 0.7 AA 7).

WAS

I tried to take this to a large astronomy group. Let's just say only a small percentage thought it was photorealistic. I did get some good pointers though. Like for one, remember to disable the second sun xD

sboerner

QuoteLet's just say only a small percentage thought it was photorealistic.
Interesting. Your renderings look amazing to my untrained eyes. What were their objections?

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on September 10, 2020, 06:15:39 PMInteresting. Your renderings look amazing to my untrained eyes. What were their objections?

The lighting was the first major issue. Forgetting to turn off the second sun.

A lot of people liked the high detail but noted without any lens issues it was easy to tell it wasn't from NASA or anything like that, though one noted it would be realistic for the naked eye/movies.

The Orthographic render seemed to trip some peoples perception of the geometry which gave them bad impressions of the lighting model making them feel it was off.

I addressed the lighting issue and added some DOF based on the depth of the planetoid (did it in post cause finding the distances in TG was proving ridiculous). Does look better imo, especially having the second sun off.

Kadri

I have kinda mixed feelings. The last one might be more realistic maybe. But i like the other versions too. But this ones looks good too.

WAS

I agree, actually. I liked the subtle lighting wrapping around it more than the hard cut-off from a single sun. I actually excused away the last ones by saying "Maybe it's close to earth and getting some backscattering [or planet shine, whatevet]" lol

I really want to rotate this thing and do a video or GIF but, I can't seem to. When I check rotate textures and such, the geometry of the planetoid doesn't rotate, neither do the craters. Still haven't figured out why.