Yet another Hurricane

Started by aknight0, September 17, 2020, 07:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aknight0

After trying and failing several times in the past with image mask based methods, I decided to finally take the plunge on the vortex shader.  I'm pretty pleased with the results.  There are two v3 cloud layers for the main storm, with a couple other clouds for the surroundings. 

I did have some strange things going on with lighting.  I found that when I brought the sun elevation down, the clouds in the center of the storm (which have the density increased using a simple shape shader) seem to disappear (see StormA).  When I raise the sun up just a few degrees, they come back very strongly (StormB).

Each image took around 5 hours each to render, so I ended up just masking them together in Affinity, using StormB to provide some extra density to StormA, (and added some stars  :))

Storm_combined.jpg

Storm_combined_stars.jpg

aknight0

Dune

Maybe because of increased density they are less pronounced in heights/lows and thus catch less light, and produce less self-shadows, so they appear 'flatter'. Just a guess.
Did you try the same with v2 clouds? They may have a similar appearance, but take less time to render.