Strange spikes on sphere

Started by Dune, September 23, 2020, 02:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

They do not interfere with rendering, but I just wonder why they are there. Making a sphere planet sized, with an offset in a surface shader to lift the floor, these spikes appear in the preview. Most go away, some stay.

N-drju

Perhaps this is caused by the default shader specifics (if it's still there). Rounding error comes to my mind too, but this is a rather unusual result. Why do you use a sphere instead of the planet object?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

There's a default shader still inside, but it's disconnected. In a planet you can't turn off shadows.

N-drju

Ahh, okay, I see.

What if you change the location of the sphere? I'd also try to tinker with the displacement tolerance.

(I meant "floating point accuracy" up there...)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Well, it's not a problem, just curious. It's only in the preview.

WAS

What version is this? I haven't noticed this and that's how I do water period, surface layer to use as offset height and water shader.

I just tested this. Is your main planets terrain shaders disabled? For me, besides the random columns and spikes, I see mountainous shapes looking like the default scene terrain which is disabled. Aside from that weirdness, it appears that it's a culling issue from the camera being inside the sphere when offsetted with the 3d preview?

Dune

It's actually the latest alpha build, so I have to test if it's related to version. Main planet is there too, sphere is inverted, and 50m higher. So you wouldn't see it from below, only the spikes, as they disappear when the preview updates. A few remain though.

WAS

Yeah I notice it in frontier too. But to me it looks like culling FROM looking within the space of the sphere, sure you shouldnt see it but I think that's where the issue is coming from.

Dune

Culling? What do you mean?
It seems like the preview is updating from a sphere at planet level to a sphere 50m up, and 'slowly' pulling its displacement up in parts. Every time I hit some variable that doesn't do much, it's updating the same way. Here's another splitsecond printscreen.