Cross-Object Get Normals

Started by WAS, October 01, 2020, 03:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Requesting that Get Normal allows feeding of a shader setup into Main Input, and allow it to only draw data from that input, providing data for that object in final/texture spaces.

There is a lot that we could do within Terragen if Get Normal was able to use a source rather than using whatever node structure it's plugged into, and what object those shaders are fed.

For example, Ulco's Shore Challenge would be a lot easier to accomplish all within Terragen if the water plane could utilize normal data from the planet.

Plugins could probably be easily created, or done in functions for water/terrain interaction, etc too, among other things.

---

In a side note, I wonder if in current form, or could be added, that a target could be given and have normals converge on it. Leaning normals in at a source, or away from.  I was trying to think about how that would be done in bare functions but not even sure where to start.

Dune

There's visualize normal, which I always thought would yield colors to be used; green for Y, blue and red for respective sides, with their mixes. That could then be used as a mask for vector displacement of another line. But it apparently doesn't work that way, so I wouldn't know what to use it for.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on October 02, 2020, 02:05:38 AMThere's visualize normal, which I always thought would yield colors to be used; green for Y, blue and red for respective sides, with their mixes. That could then be used as a mask for vector displacement of another line. But it apparently doesn't work that way, so I wouldn't know what to use it for.

Yeah get normals will get the normals of whatever it's plugged into, even if you derive masks from something else and they work, using those masks on another object will just yield normals for that object