Combining Terrains

Started by DMFW, October 13, 2020, 09:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMFW

I have a basic beginners question about combining terrains. In my current scene I have a nice procedural terrain and a nice view over it. What I would like to do is to add some distant mountains on the far right of my view, beyond all currently visible terrain. What's the best way to achieve this without affecting my foreground terrain? I'm unclear on how to place terrain elements in specific positions rather than just exploring the procedureal terrain looking for a good viewpoint. Would I be able to generate a heightmap and centre it on a specific point for example? Or can I use a procedural terrain but mask any effects near the camera? Sorry if this is a simple question but I am a little confused...

Dune

You can mask any terrain by several methods. In your case I'd use a distance shader. If you attach a camera it's the distance from that camera, if you don't attach a camera, it's the distance from 0/0/0. So set a minimum and maximum distance, and mask your close-by terrain and the far terrain. You can use mask or inverted mask.
You can also use the child input on a surface shader for either terrain and mask the surface shader accordingly.

A simple shape can also be used as a mask. In that case set smooth or bevel and a certain percentage, or the separation between terrains is very hard.

I added a simple sample and hope this helps.

DMFW

That's great information, thanks. Exactly what I needed. Using a distance shader is working for me but I also found your sample scene very helpful and I am sure I'll have a use for that technique in the future as well.

Dune

You're welcome. Do show your progress here!