3DM / Real Snow for Blender 2.80+

Started by WAS, October 28, 2020, 05:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Can someone help me confirm these plugins work for 2.80? Every video seems to show the snow mesh compute nearly instantly, but it takes literally up to 20 minutes on my computer (blender shows not responding, but it does recover), and than there is no visible result with 3DM Snow. Real Snow creates the materials it seems but no mesh.

sjefen

Hi, 

I've tried this one and it does work, but it does take allot of time. Looks like blender freezes, but if you just let it be it will finish.

I haven't tested it much, but I think if you have a more complex object like a tree for example, it will take some time. If you have a simple object with a low polycount I think it should be fast, but I may be wrong. I was only interested in getting thick snow on my trees. Maybe that is what you're trying to do also? 😊

Regards, 
Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Nala1977

i am not familiar with blender but apparently you got some geo node with the last updates, is there a way to calculate the raycast upper geometry faces with some nodes?
i do this in a very simple way in Softimage, just saying, it avoids a massive calculation on the whole object where the snow is sitting on top, plus you can decide the amount of snow you want, its extremely useful.

i dont know blender, just saying :)

WAS

Yeah I have no clue what you actually said there. xD

I was actually thinking though, maybe since the snow is only following the basic geometry of an object (cause it's smooth like perlin) perhaps I can get the same result by applying it to a super decimated object, and then just delete the low fidelity object with the high one before exporting (or just export the snow seperate to apply in TG alone, probably best actually for PT instances)

WAS

Yes decimation works wonders. Only took about a minute.

The only issue is I need to figure out what to do with the tards. They aren't physical twigs so I get terrible results. Maybe if the cards were masked to the texture but not sure how to do that. Either that or delete the cards altogether but not sure how to do that in Blender when it's all one part.

This was with Real Snow because I can't figure out where 3DM went to in this mess of a UI.

WAS

So I tried everything to select just the part of the mesh for the material for needles, but it would always select the whole darn mesh. Even when enabling Material Utilities and selecting by material that way...

But then I thought of using the splitting feature in Blender, and so I went into Edit Mode, hit P and split by Material, and that worked just fine. The heck.

Update: Also orientation apparently plays a huge role. The object at 0 degrees rotation on X can have snow applied fine. But tilting it just 10 degrees for some snow on one side, and it I'm at about a half hour of waiting now... Oi.