Blender 3D heavy user

Started by zorz, November 05, 2020, 02:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorz

I was wondering if this Terragen Renderer might be implemented in Blender 3d Software in the future like OTOY Octane for example?...
I have setup inside Blender Shader nodes that generate Planets, Moons. + Solar system that generate sizes, rotations, number of... etc. (with blender animation nodes system which is quite big stack of nodes) and i don think i will ever reconstruct something like that in Terragen.
Or what is the right way to go ?

WAS

I've attempted many solar systems/galaxies/nebulas, and they are just beasts in Terragen. Super slow. You'll have better, and quicker results in cycles. I have projects I can't even attempt to render. Even on my 24core server they're barely at 25% in a week with all the clouds, scales, and shaders. I just gave up and do smaller stuff. For example you could possibly make a solar system model within the atmosphere of a planet along 0,0,0, at a miniature scale, and it may be doable.

I also don't know if Matt has any plans of integrating with Blender, though that would be cool, I think Terragen is mainly in-house.

PS, I'll try and locate my solar system model. It's true scale, and mainly broken.

zorz

Thanks for sharing that info!

because Blender is so essential toolbox software for a lot of things.
I made a system in blender that works as Level of Detail at provided distance to the Camera (also in Shader Node system) and that when to do automatic scales and offsets that looks really naturally distant (for space objects in Animation Node system, and that camera is the parent for all and its always in 0,0,0 coordinates) and is absolutely necessary. Nothing is manual because its not fascinating at all, except if in case of something i want on a demand

WAS

Does sound interesting. I'd be interested to see examples. I primarily like space stuff, and there are limitations in Terragen that make what I want to do hard with basic noises leaving everything else up to algebra or baking maps elsewhere, which at that point I might as well use procedural shaders and stuff in Blender.

It's hard to really get the level of realism in Blender that Terragen is capable of, though as far as a planetary model goes. At least I haven't seen too many examples of something procedural that matches Terragen's atmosphere, clouds, and terrain. I just wish I could do more with the terrains easier without going to college for a whole math degree lol

zorz

Im also a just a hobbyist. I do use a Genetica Viewer noise textures mixed with basic prcedural noises. Just for height maping it... I will share some guides how to what in the future. Here is an greenhouse planet example, aka Fantasy Worlds inspired...  (the background is transparent for performance and for later on pitch black add reasons)

WAS

That looks pretty cool. You can definitely get similar in Terragen. Though I do wish we had had colour gradient maps. It would make colour shading much more dynamic.

zorz

too bad because gradient is quite a proper add, im planning (in solar system) to add basic conditions (like at possible rotations (world and delta rotations), distance, "material seeds") mechanism when icey liquids will take over and how much with gradient shader at the proper planets positions