No multicores rendering for Terragen yet?

Started by ADL, November 06, 2020, 07:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL

Hi Matt,
as you can see and you know Terragen doesn't support multithreads over 64 cores yet and use only half of power of our workstations,
this is on one on our systems with dual Xeon and 88 cores (128 GB Ram on Win10 pro).  ::)

Any news about optimization code? I have write to E-On about 2 years ago because in the past Vue had the same problem but now it's optimized for
lot of render functions (not all!) and use both the Xeons.

The optimization of code to use all the CPUs power is very important to make productive Terragen on animation rendering!
Yeah I know the GPU power but is possible use both to make render more and more fast and this is very important 
to learn and make a lot of little adjustaments on working.
Thank you for all.

Ciao,
Antonio De Lorenzo

cyphyr

You could, of course, run two instances of Terragen in parallel.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

Hi Antonio,

As far as I am aware, it should be possible to go up to 64 logical cores even if we don't have proper NUMA support yet. On the splash screen (and About box), does Terragen report that it found 88 "cores" or 44? If it says 44, go into Preferences and set the override to 88. Secondly, increase the maximum thread setting on the render node's Advanced tab because that defaults to 64.

I plan to address the NUMA issue, but it would be great to know if you can get your utilization up to at least 64 logical cores.

In any case, rendering multiple instances in parallel will probably be a more efficient way to use that many logical cores. Whenever possible you should try to distribution your animation across multiple instances and limit the number of threads per instance, even after we become NUMA-aware.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Just a random observation, did you change anything in the benchmark? Or possibly while it was rendering? Seems the top plateau of the canyon exploded which is odd.

ADL

Hi Matt,
yeah I have make the two adjustaments but Terragen has changed only the render on first CPU instead the second one as you can see on the render... Thank you! :)

@cyphyr yeah this is true for animation but not to render a single image and make a lot of tests... ;)

@WAS you have reason that was a scene with some changes, now I have used the original benchmark scene...