Display imported populations

Started by raymoh, November 07, 2020, 03:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymoh

Terragen 4.4.71 for Mac:
Imported populations are only shown sporadically in my render preview. Most of them remain "invisible" or better, they are "hidden", but have been imported correctly.  No idea why. When rendering the projects the "invisible" populations are displayed correctly. So editing imported populations is not possible, because you can't see what you are doing! So every render is an (unwanted) surprise.
The "visible" populations can be edited without problems. Of course all populations are enabled.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

Dune

Even if you have secured their visibility as box or smooth shaded and such?

raymoh

It does not matter which display mode of the population I use in the preview render. The population as a whole remains invisible, hidden. Other populations I have imported for the same project are visible from the beginning (with any display mode) and can be edited normally. I suppose I could edit the "invisible" population as well, but that doesn't help me. :-)
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

Dune

And the initial object is at 0/0/0? Otherwise I don't know.

raymoh

When importing, the position is as it should be on 0/0/0. Even if I then apply the camera position to the population, it remains invisible. In my concrete example 2 of 4 populations are invisible. As soon as I start an actual "real" render, the previously invisible populations are visible again on the final render. It seems that only the Render Preview has this problem. So in my case I always have to make a small render so that I know how the "hidden" populations behave when changes are made.  A real editing of a population (position, size, rotation of members etc.) is not possible this way. This is a bit tedious in the long run.

Matt

Each population has its own preview mode which is combined with the global preview mode. Are all the populations set to a visible mode?

pop-rock-preview-mode.png
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

raymoh

"Textured" is set for all populations. If I am not mistaken, this is the default setting when importing a whole population.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

raymoh

For the time being I can give a cautious all-clear. After I deinstalled and installed Terragen 4.4.71 again, the error with the render preview and populations did not occur anymore and I could not reproduce it. Possibly something went wrong with the download of Terragen.
However, I have to note that this error occurred only after a longer, intensive use of Terragen, with several trial renders and high CPU usage for hours. Here in the forum I also read that Terragen can have difficulties of different kinds after long and intensive use.

WAS

Quote from: raymoh on November 08, 2020, 12:35:33 PMFor the time being I can give a cautious all-clear. After I deinstalled and installed Terragen 4.4.71 again, the error with the render preview and populations did not occur anymore and I could not reproduce it

I've had to do this for numerous problems in these later versions with new dependencies. I don't know what's going on. RTP still breaks all the time and requires a full reinstallation.

Does TG open resources as writable like it does when you load TGCs or TGDs? That could cause devastating errors if any sort of hiccup or crashes occur while files are open for writing.

raymoh

In retrospect, I can't say it exactly now, I think a bit of everything. Above all I was probably much too fast with my inputs. Before Terragen recalculated an input of mine, I already continued with new inputs. Terragen does not like that at all. I know that you write about such and similar problems here in the forum again and again.

WAS

That does cause issues, moving too fast for TG. I've been having crashes when I copy paste objects for different masks, if I don't "interact" with it, like change a value, even to same value, and then go in and copy in shaders like for distant trees (little greener so not so dark) it'll just CTD when it goes to load in the object.

I thought maybe my OS was bugged from broken installs so I just reformatted the drives and reinstalled the OS, but still have issues.