Crop causes shadow to disappear

Started by sboerner, November 23, 2020, 12:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

So here is something that I don't think I've come across before. When I render this scene full frame, the cliff on the right casts a shadow across the canal. But when I render a crop, the shadow disappears. This is with the standard renderer but I get the same result with pathtrace. Both renders use the same gi cache file.

The thing is, I want this shadow in the final high-resolution render. I was planning to spread it out over several nights by rendering tiles. But the shadow disappears from the tiles.

Stumped here. Anyone have any ideas?

Matt

This can happen when "Ray detail region" is set to "Detail in crop region". Change it to "Detail in camera".

https://www.planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Render_Node_(TG4)#Advanced_Tab
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

sboerner

Thanks, Matt. That was it, of course. (I wonder why I hadn't run across this before? Maybe I did and forgot. :P )

Seems to me that "Detail in camera" would be a good starting value for this, and am updating my default scene accordingly.

Matt

Quote from: sboerner on November 23, 2020, 02:14:47 PMSeems to me that "Detail in camera" would be a good starting value for this, and am updating my default scene accordingly.

I agree, and I'll probably change it to that.

Matt

Beginning with 4.5.53, the render node's default setting will be "Detail in camera". If you customised your default scene I'd recommend changing that too.

sboerner

WAS

Quote from: Matt on December 20, 2020, 10:33:39 PMBeginning with 4.5.53, the render node's default setting will be "Detail in camera". If you customised your default scene I'd recommend changing that too.

LOL I just saved a default project like two weeks back for this settings. Go figure. :P