Terraman V4

Started by digitalguru, November 25, 2020, 06:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

I'm currently writing the next version of Terraman in Python from the ground up and it would be great to know if you guys out there use it, how you use it and if you do use it, how it could be improved.
If you have a moment, have a look at this questionnaire and answer if you can, it would be great to have your feedback.

• If you have downloaded Terraman how often do you use it?
  • Terraman was developed under Windows, but have you tried to use it on Mac OS or Linux?
  • Did you find Terraman easy to use?
  • If easy to use, what features help you the most?
  • If not easy to use, what features were unhelpful/confusing?
  • Did you find some features restrictive to your workflow?, for instance only Terraman cameras can be exported?
  • Do you use the terrain tiling feature?
  • To use some of the mesh processing an external app called Meshlab must be downloaded. Did you install this app or not use the mesh processing features?
  • Terraman has Arnold integration built-in as it is bundled with Maya. Would you like to see another renderer supported?
  • Terraman supports terrains from Terragen and World Machine as input types, would you like to see other software supported, like Gaea?
  • Have you tried using Arnold stand-ins to load large terrain sets?
  • If you use Terraman, what is your usual workflow?
  • Create Cameras in Maya to export back to Terragen. Final render of the entire scene in Terragen.
  • Import Terrain from Terragen or World Machine to render in Maya.
  • Animate objects in Maya to export to Terragen as .obj. Currently, only non-deforming objects are supported - is this an obstacle to your workflow?
  • Render animation in Maya and landscape in Terragen and composite both together.

The current version of Terraman (v3) was hosted on Highend 3D and the site is down, so please PM me if you want a copy of this version or have any thoughts/questions.

Thanks!
Graham

WAS

I have not tried it but I have always thought it was a great idea. I just don't have Maya. Though I wonder with the popularity of blender if that might be something to look into?

digitalguru

That's a good idea and hopefully re-writing this in Python would make some of the code portable. Though it would depend on many users would want it.

Just out of interest, do you solely use Terragen? Or in conjunction with any other apps?

WAS

Quote from: digitalguru on November 25, 2020, 01:53:58 PMThat's a good idea and hopefully re-writing this in Python would make some of the code portable. Though it would depend on many users would want it.

Just out of interest, do you solely use Terragen? Or in conjunction with any other apps?

I am only really familiar with Cinema4D as far as other 3d software, but even then severely outdated as I got it as a teen (I'm 32) and haven't even used it in 2 years cause the discs are somewhere in packed stuff from my "past" life which are hard to look through. 

That being said I am slowly trying to use Blender, as I really want to learn it. I've played with numerous cycles projects and really amazed by that thing. With it using my CPU and GPU renders are pretty darn speedy. I also really really want to model again (plants for environments). So I would definitely be interested in it if it were a thing. 

Oh I guess I know Unreal and Unity but that's only to help other people, I hadn't had much interest in it before because it made my PCs scream. Though this PC seems to run it much better. I have always wanted to walk around in my own scenes. Hmm.

digitalguru

Blender, Unreal and Unity are all on the up and good candidates for this at some point.

I'm learning Python as I go on this, so I'll get the Maya version nailed then move on to other apps if there's a demand.

WAS

Sounds like a good idea. I've always heard good things from Python, a lot of my friends knew it and tried to get me on board. I should take a look. I've done very little in the last decade programming wise.

digitalguru

Was going to list a set of tutorials, but they are most Python/Maya - the beginners one is good though
http://zurbrigg.com/tutorials/beginning-python-for-maya

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I have never tried Terraman.  I downloaded it once and intended to try it, but being a Maya Add-on I never got around to it.  I primarily use Modo, and some Blender.

If you made it work with Blender I think a lot of people would be interested (I would).
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/advanced/scripting/addon_tutorial.html

digitalguru

Yes, Blender is interesting  - a Maya DMP artist I worked with recently had a copy of Blender handy for some things he felt were better than Maya.

So I guess the main thing to ask is what app if any, do users use in conjunction with Terragen?

WAS

I definitely plan to use Blender. I have a lot of stuff ready for including exported terrains. My dyslexia really gets in the way with all the macro stuff though. I wish I could just right click or go into named menus.

gao_jian11

Whether to consider the 3dsmax version?

digitalguru

I would love to make this a universal plug-in that supports multiple DCCs, but as it stands it's a personal project I make available to users. I use Maya and Terragen so that's where it starts.
It's a lot of work to develop and it would only make sense if there was sufficient demand for a particular DCC, particularly a DCC I don't use (and would have to learn), but if there was I would consider developing and selling it.
As you can see there hasn't been a great response on this thread, so I assume there isn't really a demand to justify the time. Perhaps I'm posting on the wrong forum.

Though if there were an app supported, it would be Blender, based on the couple of replies had here and the fact it is free and might appeal to Terragen users.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

The advantage of making it for Blender is that Blender is Free, so even users of Maya, 3DS Max, Modo and the likes can easily learn what they need to know about Blender to use a plugin like Terraman.

There is also a place to sell Terraman for Blender which gets  a lot of exposure:  https://blendermarket.com/

There is also a lot of Blender things for sale on Gumroad, so that would be another option.

digitalguru

Quote from: D.A. Bentley on November 30, 2020, 01:23:40 PMThe advantage of making it for Blender is that Blender is Free, so even users of Maya, 3DS Max, Modo and the likes can easily learn what they need to know about Blender to use a plugin like Terraman.

There is also a place to sell Terraman for Blender which gets  a lot of exposure:  https://blendermarket.com/

There is also a lot of Blender things for sale on Gumroad, so that would be another option.

Yes, I'm coming t that conclusion, great feedback, thanks.
Gumroad is also going to be the new host, Highend 3d was great, but is very intermittent these days