Cirrus only on Horizon, not Covering close Sky

Started by dantonvfx, November 30, 2020, 06:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dantonvfx

Hey guys,

I'm not an expert on Terragen, just know the basics, but I'm trying to get more in depth in production with it, and I kinda hit a Wall, maybe someone can help me.

I'm building a 360 sky Scene where the Clouds have to be on the Horizon, covering just 1/3 (from horizon to top) of the sky. I could manage that with some easy clouds by just translating them 2000/-2000 on X and Y, but I would like to introduce some Cirrus in the same way, and noticed that they are a general layer, and can not be moved like the eays clouds.

My question is, how can I clear up big part of the Cirrus and just leave the really far away ones? I've been thinking on Booleans, like build a Sphere and use it to not generate cloud sinside of the spher eitself,  but couldnt find any info about it and seems that booleands are more for terrain, so not even sure its possible to do it that way.

The idea is to have a clear Sky except on the horizon

Any suggestions? 

Thanks so much

Dune

Welcome to the forum.

It's very simple; just use a distance shader as final coverage, or to mask the density fractal. If no camera is attached, it'll measure the distance from 0/0/0. Set to spherical, it'll distance the clouds all around.

dantonvfx

Quote from: Dune on December 01, 2020, 02:01:52 AMWelcome to the forum.

It's very simple; just use a distance shader as final coverage, or to mask the density fractal. If no camera is attached, it'll measure the distance from 0/0/0. Set to spherical, it'll distance the clouds all around.

Thanks so much Dune, thats exactly what I needed!!!  Works great! Thanks so much!