Animated FBX and Blender - Distorted Import

Started by WAS, December 26, 2020, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

So I have a crocodile with a skeleton rig it seems for animation and all that, but Blender is loading it all twisted up and broken. Oriented wrong it seems, but I can't figure out what settings to do on import to fix it. I tried directions from the only 3 websites I found with help about it. Found a nice script too, but not updated for current releases. I was able to convert it online to a OBJ to use as a placeholder, but I did want that rig, so I could try some different poses.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/nile-crocodile-swimming-8bdc3a1551fb4d9d9a58e56b9385bd22

sboerner

WAS

KlausK

Hi,

you should use the "glTF" file which is also provided via the download link on sketchfab.
Much more modern file format, which also can be imported and exported from Blender.
I found that it works in 2.81 and 2.91.
Even though the scaling of the bones is off very much (way too big) the orientation and
animation of the "Nile-Crocodile" is imported correctly.

I simply hid the bone structure in the viewport for my test but, I am sure you could downsize the system somehow.
Not a Blender user here so I did not try to find out how.

On the other hand the fbx file loaded into Softimage XSI 2015 flawlessly...nice :)
Size, orientation and animation working right out of the box in there.

Hope that helps.
CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Too bad the skeleton is messed up, but maybe that can be fixed. I like that it loads the model in the first pose though for the animation, not it's "T-Pose".