In an alternate universe

Started by WAS, January 02, 2021, 04:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Voyager is still on it's mission to return to Earth.

The clouds wanted to just be clouds, so I blew out the lighting model settings to get larger softer look while still being somewhat dense to block the sun and stuff.

sjefen

Love the nebula!
Would like to see some more reflections on the ship if possible?

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

WAS

Quote from: sjefen on January 02, 2021, 06:14:14 PMLove the nebula!
Would like to see some more reflections on the ship if possible?

- Terje
Yeah need to work on that. The metallic areas are smaller defined areas while the rest of the ship is fresnel, which it is at 1 with a low roughness but I think i need to dump the image based clear coat roughness and let Terragen handle it as I think it'll know best.

Dune

Cool render. I like the wear and tear of the ship, and the 'clouds'. Agree with a little more metalness.

Hannes

Cool image and really nice model! Agree with the others.

WAS

I ruined the nebula I thinks, I don't like the changes. It also went to 11hr from 3, so yeah.

But the ship itself is using no roughness maps this time. Also added a surface layer for the windows glass masked with a new window mask image. The model came with very detailed window scenes which shouldn't be visible when the sun is hitting the window. Some of the windows aren't illuminated at all anymore and not sure why, the map I had includes all windows which were lit (converting them grayscale and ramping levels up until a hard white/black image)

RichTwo

Yeah, the first one looks more "nebula-ish" if I may say so.  Heck, I like distressed look of the ship - like it passed through something in those clouds.  Nice work!
They're all wasted!

DocCharly65

Great shot! I like that your Voyager is a bit dirty and has that slightly chipped look. Great! :)
I guess for a bearable feasibility of an animation you would need a quantum computer ;)

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 03, 2021, 05:51:17 PMI guess for a bearable feasibility of an animation you would need a quantum computer

Thanks. Yeah I think so. Though I had theorized I may be able to get away with a much larger shot of the nebula, and then do a flyby pass alone and composite it in. Just wouldn't have the fun look of coming out of the nebula. At least not without rendering isolated clouds with animation to have it move at the time the ship flies through and slow down. That would be easy to comp in with cloud alpha.

Dune

So, what if you decrease all sizes by 90%, clouds must be faster then (if less high).

I like the metal, worn look now.

mhaze

Nice idea and composition.The ship texture in the second version has a nice mix of metal and wear and tear. The nebula feels too flat, looking at pics of nebula they are much more 3D

WAS

Coming back to this after some testing with the Razor Crest

Backed up to the original nebula, and did some slight alterations, and a new perspective.

I did some photoshop tricks to grab dark and low areas of the clouds with Levels and exaggerated the depth of the clouds.

DocCharly65

Nice shot!

Comparing all of them, this one is the most perfect render, though I like the more space-like look of the first nebula most.

Dune

Agree with Nils. First one is more subtle and realistic.

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 05, 2021, 01:42:44 AMNice shot!

Comparing all of them, this one is the most perfect render, though I like the more space-like look of the first nebula most.

Oh geez haha and I got suggested to make it more contrasty like its in a vacuum of space. I added the blue to have more gas diffusion colours where hazy gasses in nebula photos are blue. Oh well haha i guess it comes down to taste. I myself want better Sirenko-Type nebulas but when I start warping render time is so bad I cant even preview. :/

Getting the ship to be in and out of a cloud without looking odd is trickery too. Still want something better. I may come back to this one... I really struggle with clouds so bad I hardly use them 😹