Blender Apply Armature

Started by WAS, January 03, 2021, 02:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Ok, another Blender question maybe someone can help me with. I've tried to follow all the directions, but I can't seem to apply the pose that comes with this FBX to the actual model. I've tried all the ways I could find online. Starting to think the model that comes with the FBX is not a real "mesh" in the blender sence or something. I asked in blender community but haven't had a response yet.

Here is the model in question: I found a nice Razor Crest, and this guy, and wanted to do a cool Mando scene for some fan art.

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/mandalorian-the-fortnite-season-6-skin-updated-92cc2754e8d649b4846047175f234566

Dune

WAS

Ohhh, no I didn't. Nice catch, Ulco. I usually don't see many comments on models I look at so haven't paid much attention. I'll give those a go.

WAS

So the updated model doesn't have the pose with it, and I tried to append the pose from a blend file but it didn't work. It's also simply opening the FBX wrong, and the addon I got for better FBX import doesn't work on latest blender (or so it says from addon installer). Oh well. Man I need another progam to edit in that's more reliable. Just when I was excited about blender been running into all sorts of import issues.

sboerner

Jordan, I downloaded the Mando with Jetpack file from the Google drive and it loads fine into Blender 2.9, mesh and armature, with the built-in FBX importer. No problem posing it manually. I'm no expert at this, but as far as I can tell the model only comes with the default A pose. What pose are you trying to apply?

Edit: Ah, I see. The original model came with another pose? If it's still available I can look at it tomorrow.

sboerner

Well, that was fun. :-\

I downloaded the caped model. When I brought it into blender with the standard FBX importer the armature was posed, but the mesh was not skinned and was in the default A pose. In Blender terminology, it had an armature modifier but no vertex groups or vertex weights. Strange.

Importing it with the Better FBX addon fixed the skinning issue but the armature and mesh were returned to the default A pose. So I used the built-in FBX importer to bring in a second, posed armature and copied the pose. It's all set now. If you want to send me your email via PM I can send you the blend, FBX, or OBJ file, whatever you want. (You'll have to sort out the textures, I didn't even look at that.)

BTW there were no problems importing the FBX into Maya. I wouldn't fault Blender's default FBX importer out of hand . . . there are many versions of FBX, Autodesk seems to tweak it a lot so it's probably not easy for third-party vendors to keep up. For exporting animation out of Blender I've stopped using it and use OBJ/MDD instead.

WAS

Oh wow that's strange. I actually tried importing the FBX into Maya ironically over at a friends but I got errors about a bunch of "splines" not connected or pelvis connected, then nothing happened. I also know nothing about Maya and my buddy was playing D&D and wasn't going to bother them. Then just forgot.

Thanks a bunch for looking into this my emails is jordanslost a.t. g.mail

sboerner

On the way. It's a two-and-a-half mb attachment, so let me know if you don't receive it and I can resend via Dropbox.

WAS

I don't appear to have gotten it. I checked all the categorized of gmail (which I honestly don't like, but I guess can't disable). I guess maybe PM me a dropbox link. Sorry for the trouble. Thank you a bunch.

luvsmuzik

Did you try repose in Mixamo? I think that works sometimes too.