What monitors / screens would you recommend?

Started by N-drju, January 07, 2021, 07:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I can't really make up my mind as to which screen I should purchase for my new computer. Obviously, it should have an accurate color representation. Pivot function would also be welcome and the 3840 × 2160 resolution is an absolute must-have.

I clearly cannot afford Eizo's ludicrous prices, so I need to find a cheaper but decent solution. The companies I consider are Samsung, LG, Philips, Dell, Lenovo and Eizo (the latter, in case they have any reasonably-priced equipment). Any suggestions are welcome.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

penboack

I just got a LG 27UL850 which is excellent.
Criteria would be IPS for colour accuracy, 3840 x 2160 height and tilt adjustment, which narrows it down quite a bit.
In Windows 10 150% scaling gives very crisp text of readable size.

N-drju

Quote from: penboack on January 07, 2021, 09:22:58 PMI just got a LG 27UL850 which is excellent.
Criteria would be IPS for colour accuracy, 3840 x 2160 height and tilt adjustment, which narrows it down quite a bit.
In Windows 10 150% scaling gives very crisp text of readable size.

Hmm, not a bad solution and the amount of colors represented is surprisingly high too.

I'm also considering "iiyama ProLite XU2792UHSU-B1". It has some decent specs too.

The only problem I keep running into is that there does not seem to be any screen out there, which offers an A, A+ or A++ energy efficiency. Even the most expensive ones are "just" B.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

This is why we have computer control to turn the monitor off, monitors often have their own power off timer too. As well as they really sip power to begin with and don't need high energy efficiency as they are already efficient. My monitor is around 6$ dollars a year in electricity. Not factoring in it off or on screensaver. Compare any flat screen to a CRT, too, and the energy saving is very obvious. My old CRT which was for a SGI machine was like 380 watts lol

I know gou guys in Europe tend to seemed to be taxed to death on things like power to makeup for GDP on such low populations, but it shouldn't too expensive for modern monitors, especially with turning off the monitor after a bit of inactivity. Which would be incredibly energy efficient as far as use goes. They cant factor that into rating though.

penboack

The power consumption consumption of around 40 W for a typical 27 IPS Monitor is pretty insignificant compared to that of the PC even when idling.
I personally just press the Joystick up to Power it off (standby) if I am not going to be using it for a while.

N-drju

You both have valid points. And perhaps I did not take turning screen off into consideration, after so many years of lap top usage. :P

I decided to go with Iiyama model I mentioned above. This also seems to be the only good-quality screen that is currently accessible... I don't know what is happening, but it seems that everything is on low stock these days! This is also the only decent screen that my supplier could find. Very strange.

Dune

People working from home due to Covid, perhaps. More hardware needed.

RogueNZ

Bit late, but I recently purchased the BenQ sw270c to help with my photography and printing business I am starting up, and am happy with it. The color representation and accuracy is noticeably superior to the old Dell Ultrasharp I have, however I do notice the sharpness is not quite as good (despite having the same resolution).

The 4K versions of the BenQ photography monitors are highly recommended alternatives to the Eizo's at a much better price.

N-drju

Quote from: RogueNZ on January 20, 2021, 02:02:32 PMBit late, but I recently purchased the BenQ sw270c to help with my photography and printing business I am starting up, and am happy with it. The color representation and accuracy is noticeably superior to the old Dell Ultrasharp I have, however I do notice the sharpness is not quite as good (despite having the same resolution).

No problem, I appreciate your input Brendan.

Yes, BenQ is a good product family as well but still a bit wee expensive to me. All in all, I decided to go with Iiyama. The box is already here, behind my back. It has eye-protection filters, renders up to 1.07 billion colors and works in sRGB space, which is very convenient given most of my work will land on Artstation.

Speaking of which, I can see you also have an account there! I'll make sure to pay you a visit!