Dark Smoke Column Lighting Study Project

Started by WAS, January 09, 2021, 11:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

For your study.

Dune

Very nice. I used those columns quite a while back for steam train renders.

WAS

Yeah. Not "too" difficult to make.  I have a task to do something with many volcanos in a huge valley. I think an early earth, could be alien. Regardless I got all this smoke in and couldn't figure out why they were just black columns and why TG wouldn't light them up. Turns out black smoke is just hard to light, which makes sense. Lol

t0mr1ddle

Hannes

Hannes

I hope you don't mind, Jordan, I copied your network into a V2 cloud with identical settings. V2 clouds are quite useful for smoke and render faster (haven't yet checked it, but at least the RTP preview is a lot faster)

Hannes

Btw, is it possible to move the whole column? I tried to move the cloud layer and/or the simple shape shader, but that didn't seem to work.

WAS

I had a v2 in with it but deleted it cause I wasn't liking the altered look and couldn't dial in settings that mimicked v3.

The smoke column should be positioned already using Smoke Column Location (last shader plugged into Density), pushed out like 2000m from camera. May need to add the same translation to the final density fade though. Actually forgot about that, and it just came to mind.

Hannes

WAS

Most welcome.

Having ideas, I think to get a better smoke billowing effect two warps may be needed, one for the zig-zaggy cross breezes, pulling and tugging, and then a final for the pluming like warp on Y alone. I think it would help the smokes look a lot. Going to play around in a bit I think. This all happening with one noise in a vector warp seems forced and being pulled about too much in directions specified.