Resizing Terrain.Party files

Started by David, January 10, 2021, 08:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Does anyone know how to resize the .png's from this program? When I import the 1081x1081 images into Terragen the feature scale is colossal! I've tried using the 'Heightfield Resize' to reduce the terrain from 38km on a side to around 8km, but it either makes no difference or, if the 'Re-scale vertical' is checked, the terrain just disappears. Any help greatly appreciated.

Dune

Can't you import as image map and use a transform shader to resize and set location? I never work with heightfields, so can't help you there.

KlausK

Maybe this is not what you are looking for but,  I fed the Geog Heightfield Load directly into the Heightfield Shader
and lowered the Displacement to 0.1 instaead of 1.
Looks at least better in proportion than what you have now. If it is technically the right way to deal with this I do not know.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Pretty sure heightfield is in texture space too, so you can also use a transform input on the heightfield shader (not the heightfields themselves). If you need to scale disp and size, you can convert displacement to scalar, and transform and scale that scalar, and reapply disp through a displacement shader. You can then apply displacement proportionately. If you sized down by half, you apply 0.5 displacement.

Dune

I would simply load it up like this.

David

Thanks Guys for the wealth of suggestions! In the end I managed to get the heightfield to work, but without much understanding!

Ulco, I did have the idea of using an image map but wasn't sure whether I'd still be able to use the terrain modifiers, as shown in the 'basic mountain' tutorial; can I still use them? Certainly it might be easier than using a heightfield. Thank you for taking the trouble to post an example, especially your node structure.

KlausK, thank you for posting this example. Your jpeg is somewhat similar to my earlier efforts in that the mistiness seems to be 'atmosphere' viewed as if from space. (I'm assuming you didn't dial in the haze?) My first attempt produced a huge terrain that was about 40km in height - the peak must have been close to low earth orbit!!! And then, adding an ocean to this monster, produced a curved horizon!

WAS, thanks for your suggestions. Being still a node-novice I'm not entirely clear how this would look - I'm guessing this is a different approach to Ulco's? Also, does the use of scalars allow real-world measurements to be input? If you have the time to show me a node tree I'd be most grateful.

The attached image is a test attempt to replicate an image from wikipedia using the Terrain.Party heightfield. I wasn't expecting an exact match just a reasonable approximation (in green).

In addition, does anyone know why I get black spots on the sea - I've circled them in red.

Again, thanks everyone!

Dune

Black spots: check out this thread: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23860.msg240961.html#msg240961

I don't know the tutorial, so I can't tell you if you can use terrain modifiers. I guess they have to do with heightfield? What would you like modified; altitude? Just use the displacement multiplier.