Is this Desert/Mars Like

Started by WAS, January 14, 2021, 04:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I haven't really worked on a complex shader for a while... so yeah, here we go. I'll try to get some larger ones up soon, I've been optimizing. I find it easier to make something complex and barbaric and optimize it for a still close look then starting simple and working up to a final "simple" version which often lacks a lot of the detail i'd normally have.

Opinions please (been staring at same refs and this for too long need fresh eyes)?

Dune

RichTwo

The textures are pretty much there as is the coloring.  There are cracked features such as this all over Mars, but more whitish and distinguishable from the smoother surfaces.  I was able to get something similar using a "deep snow" clip, PF mask, and a voronoi cracks set up.
They're all wasted!

WAS

This uses a voronoi noise setup to simply breakup a solid white surface layer masked by "stone shapes" with perlin. Then that surface layer masks the "stones shapes" mask through another surface layer which is not clamped, so I have a uncalmped masked noise that's broken up

WAS

DocCharly65

I'd echo Ulco. Nice ground!

I would even say it's usable as some sorts of garden soil.

Hannes

WAS

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 18, 2021, 02:17:48 AMI'd echo Ulco. Nice ground!

I would even say it's usable as some sorts of garden soil.
I think i know what you mean. The old mulchy garden beds that gets thr crusty like surface areas when sun beating hard?

DocCharly65

Quote from: WAS on January 18, 2021, 02:28:39 PMI think i know what you mean. The old mulchy garden beds that gets thr crusty like surface areas when sun beating hard?

Exactly... you read my thoughts :)
I would immediately like to loosen the soil with a small rake and plant a few carrots :)