Terragen 2 Pre-Purchase

Started by crosseout, December 03, 2007, 09:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crosseout

Hello, I am considering buying terragen 2, but im a bit confused.

Pre-Purchase Terragen 2 "Deep": $199

Pre-Purchase Terragen 2 "Deep" with Animation: $299

so right, I thought that you could animate with every terragen 2? Or was I completely wrong?
Another thing is that it seems a bit steep with $100 for animation? I'm in school, I do some freelancing but not much at all, buying the deep version without animation is ok, but for me it would be too much for the animation; unless somebody could convince me it was worth it?

there have probably been other threads on this subject, but i couldn't find any....

rcallicotte

Deep is the only product in this line with animation.

Wait until it's no longer pre-purchase (I wouldn't really wait, if I were you).  The price will likely increase quite a lot.  Check the market and you'll see most of these sorts of programs go at around $1000 or more for something on the professional level.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

crosseout

so because updates are included I would be saving a lot of money...?
alright, is there any schedule for when 2 is launched?

rcallicotte

Updates up to (but not including) TG3 are included, as I understand it.

The schedule is sort of fuzzy, but there have been declarations by Planetside that this TG2 project will be at 1.0 by the end of this year.  That's 4 weeks.  But, I'm of the thinking (along with some others here) that it's okay if this date slips a little in order for Planetside to do it right.  I personally believe in the 3DRealms and id Software companies' philosophy of taking time to do something correctly. 

Hope this helps.

Quote from: crosseout on December 03, 2007, 10:36:03 AM
so because updates are included I would be saving a lot of money...?
alright, is there any schedule for when 2 is launched?

old_blaggard

Updates to TG3 are not included.  TG2.x updates are, though.  The $100 for animation really depends on how much you plan on animating.  Right now, the built-in tools are pretty rough, but they will be refined over time.

A couple of other things to note:
- If you already own TG 0.9, you get $100 off
- If you are a student, you get a discount, but you can still use the software for commecial use (email them for a specific price)

Also, Planetside has promised a release in 2007 - they might not quite make it, but I'm confident that it will be darn close.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

This is what I meant and didn't say (corrected).  Sorry for the misinformation.

Quote from: old_blaggard on December 03, 2007, 11:58:09 AM
Updates to TG3 are not included. 

crosseout

thank you very much (; you said there was a student discount, does that (like in my country) only mean college/uni or just in school too(?), caus I havent quiet made it to college yet, still got some years to go...

old_blaggard

I wasn't in college when I got my student discount ;).  Just zip them an email and see how they respond.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Seth

I just bought it !!! yeaaaah at last i'm gonna do high-res renders ! wooohoooo !

*waiting for his key*

rcallicotte

Cool.  I can't wait to see what you do.

Quote from: seth93 on December 03, 2007, 02:50:58 PM
I just bought it !!! yeaaaah at last i'm gonna do high-res renders ! wooohoooo !

*waiting for his key*

Will

aye I hoping to by X-mas, I need to do pano renders.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

Congrats!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you manage to come up with.

rcallicotte

Are you updating, too, Will?  Fantastic!

Quote from: Will on December 03, 2007, 03:17:47 PM
aye I hoping to by X-mas, I need to do pano renders.

Seth

2008 will be a good year it seems ^^

Seth

thank you for being so fast to send me my meky !!!!
i have the deeeeeep version ! yooohooooo !
thanks to the all Planetside staff