Fields. The corn and wheat type.

Started by Dodger, January 30, 2021, 08:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodger

I'm trying to find something on how to make fields. The corn and wheat and bean and potato types.

The problem is this is basically unsearchable because I keep getting mostly things on TG settings, as in fields as in application IO interface elements.

So I googled "Terragen farm".
Yeah that didn't help.

Any pointers on how I can make agricultural fields around a town? The city itself is easy enough to import OBJs of houses, castle walls, even streets maybe (though that would be easier if there were a way to paint them on), but the geometrically planted fields of gold and green elude me.

Dodger

Oh, I should add that "Terragen Agriculture" also doesn't help because apparently there's a biotech firm in Australia named that.

WAS

Hey Dodger, welcome to the forums.

To create a field crop with plowed terrain you'd want to probably use the Simple Shape Shader to define your crop region, and then utilize the Sin Scalar function to create a striped scalar for the field plows displacement.

I've put together an example project minus the object (which can be found here) which demonstrates a simple corn field.

A note: unfortunately the population sampler can't deal with tight stripes to get pops right on the top of mounds, to remedy this you could work out of world scale at like 2:1 or larger so the sampler can get more even looking stripes.

Dune

Welcome indeed.

It depends on what you intend to make. For one field, or a few, simple shapes are good, but I usually paint my masks in Photoshop. If you take an RGB file you can draw them in every color layer, so you have one file. In TG you can import as image map, set location and size ( repeat x and Z if you want the fields all over the globe), separate the fields again by using blue function nodes (blue to scalar, green to scalar, red to scalar), and make all sort of combinations with other image maps or simple shapes.
Have your populations (or colors and small displacements for far fields) distributed by these maps as well, and you're off.

Do show us where you're heading with your project!

WAS

Quote from: Dune on January 31, 2021, 02:05:03 AMWelcome indeed.

It depends on what you intend to make. For one field, or a few, simple shapes are good, but I usually paint my masks in Photoshop. If you take an RGB file you can draw them in every color layer, so you have one file. In TG you can import as image map, set location and size ( repeat x and Z if you want the fields all over the globe), separate the fields again by using blue function nodes (blue to scalar, green to scalar, red to scalar), and make all sort of combinations with other image maps or simple shapes.
Have your populations (or colors and small displacements for far fields) distributed by these maps as well, and you're off.

Do show us where you're heading with your project!

Could you show an [small] example of how you plot your RGB files? I've tried this a few times but the results looked so generic and fake. Hoping to get a clue at your magic. I'm thinking it's a little more complex than I imagine and may need to plugin the WACOM.

Dune

No problem. Here are 2 reduced samples. For this setup I used about 5 of these for all different stuff. But for far away fields and so on, I often use lower poly masks that are located further away, or located the same, but bigger and working together with local finer masks.

WAS

Ok, yeah, I can definitely see where I went wrong, but at least was on the right track with one RGB map for fields, and one for infrastructure (dirt roads, regular roads, and irrigation/streams).

Thanks a lot for sharing.

WAS

For super distant (like orbital shots) you could probably do something with internal voronoi itself. Take a look at this warped simple shape isolated example. The colour cell noise, and difference scalar noise are warped by the sample simple shape vector warper here.

Suwa_Foughten_Field

Thanks! I'll try to jerry-rig a way to make these fields look less "regular", with more texture, and will post the results here if I manage to reach the result I'm looking for.