Affinity sale

Started by sboerner, February 02, 2021, 03:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sboerner

Noticed that Affinity has all of its products on sale, half off. If you're looking for a full-featured photo editor you can now get Photo for $25 US. Permanent license, no subscription. Pretty good deal.

I was on the site to purchase Affinity Designer, their vector-editing application. I have downgraded my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription to photo only, and needed a replacement for Illustrator. Impressed with Designer so far.

So I still have Lightroom/Photoshop but also purchased Affinity Photo to keep in my back pocket, so to speak. If they continue to upgrade and improve it, Photo may become a full replacement for Photoshop.

WAS

Man, really wish they accepted my bank card. Looks like I need to give someone else monies and they get it.

zaxxon

I've been using Affinity Photo for some time and for most of my tasks it performs beautifully. Serif is creating a market niche here, I hope the $25 sale is not a indicator of possible stress as i enjoy not using Adobe.

penboack

I've just started using Inkscape for vector editing, open source, works on Windows, Mac, Linux.
Impressed so far.

I'm using gimp as a photoshop replacement.

I eliminated Adobe because of the data breach a few years back.

WAS

Quote from: penboack on February 04, 2021, 09:29:57 PMI've just started using Inkscape for vector editing, open source, works on Windows, Mac, Linux.
Impressed so far.

Data breach? Was this with the cloud and projects?

N-drju

Would have been great if they indeed accepted online payments. ::)

I tried to purchase Affinity five times. Enough is enough. I don't have time to waste on stone-age order system that does not recognize Visa.

I switched to GIMP - a substitute Ulco suggested instead.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

I still use PS CS6, offline, so I have nothing to worry about. But indeed Affinity is extremely cheap, but unable to purchase.

penboack

Quote from: WAS on February 04, 2021, 10:30:55 PM
Quote from: penboack on February 04, 2021, 09:29:57 PMI've just started using Inkscape for vector editing, open source, works on Windows, Mac, Linux.
Impressed so far.

Data breach? Was this with the cloud and projects?

It happened when I had a Creative Cloud subscription. Customer account information was affected.

sboerner

QuoteI tried to purchase Affinity five times. Enough is enough. I don't have time to waste on stone-age order system that does not recognize Visa.
I used my Visa card to purchase all three apps. Did receive a message that the third purchase was declined, but just waited a day and then had no problem.

But just checked the Serif forum and it seems that this has been a problem for some time now. How on earth can a company operate like that?

WAS

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR REJECTED PURCHASERS!

lol :P

So, Affinity Photo is now on Microsoft Store, which you can download/install through the Microsoft Store on Windows 10. I was able to purchase this version without any trouble.

The problem seems to stem from MasterCard ID-Check system, which seems to have tons of problems with out-of-country sales. Which is a lot of people for something like this. They should choose another merchant provider. BECU even overrided the transaction origin to force it, but they still reject it. Funny thing is they say it's my provider rejecting it. Lol right.

Dune

I once had a credit card, not any more. We don't use that very much here. I also had Paypal, but then they decided to freeze my money, and I got extremely pissed of with them. Took me months and loads of emails to get it fixed. No Paypal anymore for me. Then it's hard to purchase anything ;)

N-drju

Quote from: sboerner on February 05, 2021, 11:27:39 AMBut just checked the Serif forum and it seems that this has been a problem for some time now. How on earth can a company operate like that?

Exactly. This is literally the only online shop where my debit card (not even a "credit card"  - these might actually be problematic at times) was not accepted. I can buy anything I want via Internet - 3d models, software, clothing, hotel rooms. Affinity? No sir...

Quote from: Dune on February 05, 2021, 02:28:48 AMI still use PS CS6, offline, so I have nothing to worry about. But indeed Affinity is extremely cheap, but unable to purchase.

You must be among the lucky people who purchased Photoshop before it became a subscription nightmare. Well, at least this is my opinion about Adobe, sorry.

I don't have any orders or contracts (yet) and just make some "pret-a-porter" art. This means pushing out one, maybe two hi-fi renders per month. Paying 15-ish Euro a month just to get that one render print-ready seems like a waste of money in the long run. Anything that's free or "perpetual" and lets me check the color space, DPIs and image size is just enough.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"