Rendering with Nvidia Omniverse

Started by Gruffalo, February 03, 2021, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gruffalo

Hi!

Are there any plans to connect Terragen with Omniverse, Nvidia's new GPU renderer (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/omniverse/)? I have been testing Omniverse for about a month and it is blazingly fast and high quality, sometimes even approaching real-time framerates. There's already live plugins for Unreal Engine 4, Maya and 3ds Max and plugins for Blender have been announced. For me, Terragen's rendering speed is the main reason why I don't use it as much as I would like to, so having a fast photoreal GPU rendering option which updates in real-time would be amazing.

Here's a video showing the render speed of Omniverse:

WAS

First thought and opinion I have is no, considering from what I understand both Terragen's Ray Tracer and Path Tracer are in-house products, I don't see why that would change. However Matt would be crazy not to take advantage of the DXR API to utilize both nvidia and amd ray tracing. This could dramatically improve both ray tracing and path tracing scenarios. Which I believe he's already working on, or something similar from what the roadmap indicates.

Quote from: Planetside SoftwareIn the pipeline for 2021

•     Terragen for VFX video tutorial series
  •     A large and growing library of high quality plant models. This will be massive!
  •     Rendering of normal maps and two-sided materials (think of leaf textures)
  •     VDB export on Windows and Mac (currently only on Linux)
  •     Simpler workflow for exporting terrain and textures
  •     GPU-accelerated tools in beta
https://mailchi.mp/planetside/terragen-newsletter-jan-2021

Dune

I would love to have a faster PT renderer in TG, or have the ability to export the whole scene into one. Even if quality would be less, a near real-time renderer would benefit animations a lot.

WAS

Near real-time PT would be amazing. Man if Matt got that out I think it would be the first and create a buzz.