intel 10980xe

Started by Nala1977, February 08, 2021, 07:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nala1977

Hey guys, i was wondering if anyone have this processor and how does it run with terragen and rendering in general.
i am thinking of building a new machine, not a big fan of AMD, plus they are almost out of stock which is kinda ridicolous.
here in italy is impossible to find a 5950x which was my main target, so i am considering the intel 10980xe but 90% of the benchmark and info about cpu nowadays are about gaming which i couldnt care less.

WAS

I'd look at PassMark scores, which are generalized between the power of CPUs: https://www.m.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=3630

Value seems to be sky-high, which probably explains it's current prices.

Why aren't you a fan of AMD? I've always wondered these things, and often get some bizarre reasons. Like hardware failure, which I've never experienced with AMD but have had plenty of Intel devices OEM or otherwise fry. :P

One benefit to the Intel 10980xe is you get 18 cores, rather than 32 cores with 3950x, which I imagine TG will make better use of.

Kadri

I have a Ryzen 9 3950x and wouldn't buy this Intel CPU at all...For this price at least.
Have a look at this conclusion. There are many benchmarks in the pages before, rendering included:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i9_10980xe_processor_review,26.html

WAS

I'm curious what the actual performance is of this CPU. While I wouldn't go Intel for various reasons from budget, performance to ethical manufacturing issues, this CPU actually looks like it would perform very well with Terragen over comparative AMD CPUs with more cores for the same general performance. That means each thread in theory would be getting more bang on this CPU than say the 3950x. With lower cores, Terragen may even handle it better. The 3950x is at the literal end of Terragen's CPU support since it's not NUMA aware.

Nala1977

im very skeptical on actual amd, i've been reading a lot and it seems the thread ripper are having issue of all kinds, from windows 10 not fully supporting that amount of threads to many power issues, freezes, bios, heat problems, i mean after investing 5k on a machine you will have to fight with all that, no thanks.

Intel for me always been an extremely stable and performance cpu, i bought the i7-990x in 2011 and its still running perfectly without a single hiccup or issue ever. Apparently intel is launching a 11900k which from some leaked info beat in performance the new 5950x from amd, so i am gonna wait probably.

I was just very curious about threadripper because of the raw cores on rendering, and i mostly render a lot, but the more i dig into these processor the more issues i found on the forums all around the world. It doesnt really give me that tranquillity for the amount of money it costs.

10980xe has some impressive results, these benchmarks are so annoying some says it performs even better than some latest ryzen, some say it doesnt.
Also 95% of benchmark always take into account gaming which frankly is dumb.. i couldnt care less.

i was just wandering if anyone here using terragen has this cpu to understand how it performs, from RTP preview to actual rendering and core utilization and stability.

N-drju

@Nala1977 - I'd risk a statement that the problems you read about stem from PC builders knowing jack about how to build a good render machine.

I've been using the AMD 5950x for a few weeks now and it works like a dream. In your wording, "I couldn't care less" about Intel processors now that I own 5950x.

Everything works fast is well balanced and heat-efficient. The components have been hand-picked by yours truly and a good builder that I worked with.

The guy, sort of, led me by the hand through the hardware intricacies and made sure I receive a setup that can actually handle an AMD processor. This guy has 20 years of experience...

There are many people who bought 5950x systems out on a whim and made bad decisions regarding the rest of the equipment. In my case, we have actually spent a month or so, doing a thorough research on what would be the best setup and hardware for my new processor.

A natural reasoning (and the source of most of the people's problems) is "I need to cut down on my budget, because the CPU is worth 70% of the total computer price". This is a self-defeating approach.

Some parts, especially budget parts, will simply not handle the little monster that 5950x is. This is why you hear so many "complaints" against AMD. Actually, these complaints are all about people's short-sightedness. In any case, I can only strongly reaffirm you that if you pick the right parts and adjust them for the best balance and efficiency, you will get a really nice rendering computer.

Point in case - one guy has even offered me to pair up 5950x CPU with an MSI Motherboard. ::)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Nala1977

Quote from: N-drju on February 10, 2021, 05:34:21 AM@Nala1977 - I'd risk a statement that the problems you read about stem from PC builders knowing jack about how to build a good render machine.

I've been using the AMD 5950x for a few weeks now and it works like a dream. In your wording, "I couldn't care less" about Intel processors now that I own 5950x.

Everything works fast is well balanced and heat-efficient. The components have been hand-picked by yours truly and a good builder that I worked with.

The guy, sort of, led me by the hand through the hardware intricacies and made sure I receive a setup that can actually handle an AMD processor. This guy has 20 years of experience...

There are many people who bought 5950x systems out on a whim and made bad decisions regarding the rest of the equipment. In my case, we have actually spent a month or so, doing a thorough research on what would be the best setup and hardware for my new processor.

A natural reasoning (and the source of most of the people's problems) is "I need to cut down on my budget, because the CPU is worth 70% of the total computer price". This is a self-defeating approach.

Some parts, especially budget parts, will simply not handle the little monster that 5950x is. This is why you hear so many "complaints" against AMD. Actually, these complaints are all about people's short-sightedness. In any case, I can only strongly reaffirm you that if you pick the right parts and adjust them for the best balance and efficiency, you will get a really nice rendering computer.

Point in case - one guy has even offered me to pair up 5950x CPU with an MSI Motherboard. ::)
Yes i agree with you 100%, too bad that AMD failed to meet the customer demand and these CPUS are basically impossible to get here in italy.
Do you know how much these CPU costs here in italy (i dont know where you are from) due to this? 1300€ which is 1575.99 USD when you can find them which is extremely rare.

its just shitty at the moment..I would buy a 5950x for the fair price not 1300€, and if i can find it, so far there is nothing at the horizon, im betting the next gen intel cpu will come out before they can make 5950x available in Italy. Its a joke.

N-drju

Io sono polacco. ;)

I bought mine 5950x back in December as a priority purchase and it was worth 1100€... It looks like it gets more expensive each month.

I fully agree that AMD's distribution policy is completely off. They were really proud of this CPU but don't bother making enough copies of it.

Looks like they want to use some of the users as laboratory mice and see how this CPU really fares. :-X But I can see two problems here...

One. If some users fail to cross-check their hardware against this CPU, they will be dissatisfied which, in turn, will provide AMD with a skewed/biased feedback.

Two. If they supress the manufacturing process long enough, 5950x will eventually be surpassed by the next "big thing".

My other theory is that they wish to control the supply in such a way that disappointed users opt for Threadripper series instead which are far more expensive. 5950x offers a really nice "home-render farm" experience and it's no wonder why people are interested.

Kind of absurd... According to the Pareto's rule, 20% of stock generates 80% of income. For some reason, AMD does not want their 5950x to be that 20%.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Kadri

It is not only AMD. Nvidia does have that problem too. Ironically one reason is because these cpu's are just very good now.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/pre-builts-struggle-CPU-GPU-shortage

WAS

It's not their policies. Its distributors policies. They allow scalping. Tariff taxes and availability from scalpers is driving prices up whole availability drops. We need laws ASAP. Only X sales to a single customer in 24/hr or at all, and no pallets to anyone without a UBI. 

Windows 10 has full NUMA support, and any thread issue is software, and the software not being properly NUMA aware if at all. Terragen currently isnt so you'd have to split your render up between instances for full load on CPU.

Nala1977

Quote from: N-drju on February 10, 2021, 05:34:21 AM@Nala1977 - I'd risk a statement that the problems you read about stem from PC builders knowing jack about how to build a good render machine.

can you please list your workstation parts?