Alpine Summer

Started by Gannaingh, February 15, 2021, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

Several months have past, the snow has melted, and the water level in the lake has decreased by over 10 feet revealing all manner of tree trunks and debris littering the , now dry, lakebed. Vegetation has, slightly, crept up the mountain side as the longer days and higher temperatures allow the plants the nutrients necessary to grow and 
advance.

I really enjoyed the process of making the lake bed. So often I just add some basic stones under the water and call it a day, but I feel adding debris and plants really helps the realism of the image. 

Next up, autumn! Thanks for taking a look.

WAS

Oh wow, fantastic! This looks great!

I do feel maybe there should be some colour variation in the mountains, and a tad snow from nightly squals, maybe masked only to the (assuming) eastern slope where it sees most it's shade.

A quick way to add some variation to mountains I've found is to use a dark, near black colour, apply it with soft slope limits, and a nice fractal breakup with noise roughness at 1.5 and breakup by normal at like 1 and then put the surface layer coverage somewhere between 0.25-0.75 to taste. Adds a nice darkening effect where soils may be darker cause of runoff. If you have erosion on the terrain, you can play with the favor depressions with a intersection shift of like -1.5 to hug the flows of the erosion.

Gannaingh

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm not satisfied with the rock surfaces. There are actually three levels of darkening in different scales over the rock surface, but the sharpness isn't enough, or the scale is too small, to be apparent at this distance. I'll have to do a crop render after some tweaking since it would be a shame to leave this "unfinished".

Jo Kariboo

Perfect light and very realist !

Kadri

I love the lower parts especially. Great!

DocCharly65

That looks so impressive! You can almost feel the power of nature.