Lava and Magma - Any Experts

Started by WAS, February 20, 2021, 08:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Any experts on this? Lol

Magma; underground or within the earths crust.

Lava; the same description save for erupted from a volcano; or cooled volcanic rock.

Sooo why in the same breath do they call them lava tubes and lava fissures when both should relate to magma?

;D ;D ;D

Dune

Well, maybe you already described it; lava=erupted or cooled. And tubes and fissures relate to that. Magma maybe is more the kind of stagnant form inside earth. But I have no idea otherwise.

WAS

I guess that would be logical -- that it is cooled thus "lava". I didn't think of it that way earlier. Thanks, that actually helped. Lol

Dune

Well, it's nice to wake up with a little riddle ;)

raymoh

I am not an expert now, but I think I once read that a lava tunnel is formed when lava (=magma at the surface) cools down at different rates: At the surface, the lava flow has already cooled, while in the interior, at depth, it is still flowing. This is how the tubes are formed (from lava, not from magma, by definition).
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

WAS

Ah, yet another good description as to why. For some reason it seemed to silly yesterday, that when I was putting little informational annotation on a poster I was like "This makes no sense!" lol