Frozen airbubbles

Started by Dune, February 25, 2021, 01:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Kadri's idea of using a stack of sheets has proven itself. While the bubbles aren't 'solid', it's pretty good. The advantage over object bubbles is that the bubbles can be variable. Even the stack can be variable if made within TG, but I made a 20x20m stack in LW. It's fast as well, 50mins for this render. So 'problem' solved.

Kadri

Looks good. Yes different advantages.
With what kind of cpu is this render time Ulco?

DocCharly65

Wow! That's great! It looks really real. Only if you look a long time on it and know the technique then you recognize the layers.

Kadri

Quote from: DocCharly65 on February 25, 2021, 08:32:55 AMWow! That's great! It looks really real. Only if you look a long time on it and know the technique then you recognize the layers.
Yes but google for "bubbles under frozen ice" you will see that the real ones look very similar too.

Dune

An i7 2700k. It's not PT, mind you.

Kadri

I see. Thanks. Still not bought the new pc Ulco?

WAS

So are the layers just glass, with opacity holes in essence (I know you did it in LW)?

sboerner

That looks really good, Ulco. Great detail for winter landscapes.

Dune

No, I haven't bought a new PC yet, as the parts I wanted our not available. I have to reconsider, and still doubt between new stuff and refurbished workstation.

Yes, it's glass, with an opacity mask for non-holes of course. Ice itself is just a water shader, could have been glass too.

DocCharly65

Quote from: Kadri on February 25, 2021, 09:32:14 AMYes but google for "bubbles under frozen ice" you will see that the real ones look very similar too.

I did, Kadri and I was absolutely amazed at the similarity I found. So: 100% match, Ulco :) Many of the photos I found didn't look as good as your render!

Dune

They were probably just bad renders :P

Hannes

This is really brillant!!!! It looks fantastic, and it's something new I haven't seen so far in TG. And I like the way you made it using Kadri's idea.