Faux-Strata

Started by WAS, March 20, 2021, 03:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Working on a Faux-Strata shader. It has strata shaders to help chisel some areas, but the main noise is either PF based or voronoi based (depending on a flag setting).

Same settings for both images, just changed the noise flag from PF to Voronoi (so voronoi is a little blown out cause of hard edges). Nice thing about the PF is there is all the PF noise settings to play with, plus the shader settings I've put together.

Dune

Yes, problem with strata is that they are hard by design, stretched noise works fine with the right color settings (unclamped taken through smooth step, e.g). The only problem in your example I see is that the fractal warp causes rock to slant to the sides, which is not always wanted. Fascinating techniques, that's for sure.

WAS

No fractal warp. Redirectment to a achieve a windsepth rock. Very common type of formation in deserts to have it "lean" a direction where wind is always passing and all the talus erosion. Map is customizable and not changed for these tests. This is just testing different noises with default settings.

Jo Kariboo

This is the kind of deplacement I love looking at. Very nice work.

mhaze

DocCharly65

WAS

Thanks guys. I was planning to release this but I basically just made a power fractal v5 shader lol it has sooo many features, can use all TGs scalar based noises (functions included), built in distributions, etc. I think I went way out of hand with this one and need to open up one of the earlier iterations and create something more basic. No way someone is going to want to play with all those scalar settings even if it can make just about anything (besides square stuff....)

Also think my eyes are stale so going to work on something else. May put up the geonosis like displacement, it's pretty cool.