Strata --> FINISHED

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 06, 2007, 04:35:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

I wanted to have the upper color layers to have specularity/reflectivity.
That default shader is setup the same way as I explained in feature 5.

Was the rest useful for you?

Oshyan

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 09, 2007, 08:40:37 am
In the last image the fill lights didn't cast soft shadows which resulted in strange sharp shadows between the trenches/ditches.
Raytraced shadows was on otherwise the mountain didn't cast its own shadow. Strange, because I thought raytraced shadows was only necessary when using populations. Shadows on displaced features should be cast correctly without raytraced shadows switched on. Hence Oshyan's message here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=150.msg781#msg781
It's an old message so maybe this feature has been altered or my image is an exception?

Nothing has changed in regard to this feature, you simply misunderstood my original explanation. Here's a full quote:

Quoteyou don't need to turn on "ray-traced shadows" for it to work. Those settings (in Clouds and Atmosphere nodes) are actually only useful for when you want the terrain to cast a shadow either into the atmosphere or onto clouds (depending on where you enable the setting).

Note that in the 2nd sentence I specify that I am referring to the options in the Cloud and Atmosphere nodes *specifically*. The general "raytraced shadows" option in the renderer is necessary for most shadowing to work at all. The specific options in the Cloud and Atmosphere nodes are special-purpose and only affect cloud and atmosphere rendering in specific circumstances.

- Oshyan

moodflow

This is really nice work.  I like how you went the extra mile to grind out some detail.   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Thanks for tutorial.  As soon as I figure out what moodflow is doing with his fake stones, I'll be back.   :D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 09, 2007, 09:46:28 am
I wanted to have the upper color layers to have specularity/reflectivity.
That default shader is setup the same way as I explained in feature 5.

Was the rest useful for you?


yes the rest was very useful and awesome work again.....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Tangled-Universe

Another update....

I hope I'm not bothering you people with these updates ;D I'm not finished with this image yet, that's for sure :)

This time I've added some cracks to the rocks, but after almost 15 hours of rendering I saw the effect was little bit overdone.
So the next thing is to reduce the displacement of the cracks and also to lower the coverage of the layer containing them.
The rendersettings were detail 0.85, AA 9, no GI, detail blending 0.85. Switching of GI (original settings 1/1) didn't make that much a difference in rendertime so I think to switch it back on. I also want to create another fake stones layer with slightlier bigger stones and I came up with another idea I'm not going to tell you, ghehe ;D

Please let me know what you think of it and suggestions are always welcome  :)

Martin

wiwine

You have seriously improved the multi-strata method. That's nice to see what you've done with it. The last render is very interesting, highly detailled.  ;)

rcallicotte

@TU - What is the POP FINAL?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

The POP-FINAL is a surface layer which I thought I would need to let my population sit on.
It was a method I used in other images but those images had quite some displacements after the compute terrain node and thus it's easier to select the last terrain node.
This surface layer has no color, nor displacement (as you can see). It's just empty and serves as a base for a population to sit on.
In this project I could delete it because my populations sit correctly on the ground using the compute terrain node.

moodflow

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 10, 2007, 03:40:02 pm
Another update....

I hope I'm not bothering you people with these updates ;D I'm not finished with this image yet, that's for sure :)



What are you talking about?  Keep 'em coming!  8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Seth

i love this thread !!!
i am so impatient to see a final render !

Will

nice, though it looks reflective to me for some reason.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Will on December 11, 2007, 05:37:57 pm
nice, though it looks reflective to me for some reason.


That's correct: The upper 2 color layers have reflectivity. Smooth and flat rock-surfaces tend to be very reflective at certain angles of incoming light.
Perhaps I've added a little bit too much of reflectivity, but it's very difficult to estimate because there's a lot of difference in monitors. At my work it looks a lot more reflective than at home.

Quote from: Oshyan on December 09, 2007, 07:10:51 pm
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 09, 2007, 08:40:37 am
In the last image the fill lights didn't cast soft shadows which resulted in strange sharp shadows between the trenches/ditches.
Raytraced shadows was on otherwise the mountain didn't cast its own shadow. Strange, because I thought raytraced shadows was only necessary when using populations. Shadows on displaced features should be cast correctly without raytraced shadows switched on. Hence Oshyan's message here:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=150.msg781#msg781
It's an old message so maybe this feature has been altered or my image is an exception?

Nothing has changed in regard to this feature, you simply misunderstood my original explanation. Here's a full quote:

QuoteDisplacements should certainly cast correct shadows (although not soft shadows), and you don't need to turn on "ray-traced shadows" for it to work. Those settings (in Clouds and Atmosphere nodes) are actually only useful for when you want the terrain to cast a shadow either into the atmosphere or onto clouds (depending on where you enable the setting).

Note that in the 2nd sentence I specify that I am referring to the options in the Cloud and Atmosphere nodes *specifically*. The general "raytraced shadows" option in the renderer is necessary for most shadowing to work at all. The specific options in the Cloud and Atmosphere nodes are special-purpose and only affect cloud and atmosphere rendering in specific circumstances.

- Oshyan


The Italicized part of your quote is the part that confused me, I'm sorry, I thought it was about shadows casted by the displaced terrain on the terrain itself.
Guess I have to work on my English a little ;)

----

I've just set up a new scene with reduced cracks and reflectivity on the rocks. I've also added 3 populations and I'm going to render it at 1280x800 @ detail 0.85, AA 12, GI 1/1 and detail blending 0.85. It will probably take at least 2 days to render,...

So people, please stay tuned :p ;)

Martin

Lucio

Definitely a great work Martin!

ndeewolfwood

the middle bottom area of your picture is just lovely  :-* :-*
the crossing hard edges are very realistics .
pretty good job !