Strata --> FINISHED

Started by Tangled-Universe, December 06, 2007, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Unfortunately the render of the final image crashed after approx. 25 hours of rendering  :'(
I can't tell whether it's due to unstability or due to deficiency in RAM. The following screenshot never used more than 400 MB of RAM to render.
The scene contains 2 populations of each about 12500 instances. The rocks have some reflectivity/specularity so I can imagine that consumes quite some RAM.
One thing I've also noticed is that the TG2 instance was completely gone (sounds like a real crash) but that my computer was also restarted (hence my MSN did show up again).
So I can't tell who to blaim:

Me, for chosing to insane settings.
My computer for not being able to render them.
XP auto-update which possibly rebooted my machine.

I think at the time of the crash 30% of the image was finished.
In the mean time I made 1 screenshot of its progress and here it is. (it's a bad print scr copy pasted in paint. The render size and quality were a LOT better)

As you can see only about 1/8 of the image was finished then but it gives you an impression of the scale I had in mind on this one.
What do you guys think about it? Please take a look at my last update and this one and tell me if the scales look right.

Next week I'll receive my new quad-core rendermachine which will make it certainly possible to finish the render.
So it's a pity I'm on a delay now, but it doesn't really matter. After all it took me almost a week to setup the scene, so 1 week for rendering doesn't bother me.

rcallicotte

Oh...trees.  ;D  I'm not one to complain, but as big as poster sized is okay.   :o  Just kidding.  This looks fine...wonderful, even.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

nice, though doesn't seem to be the write environment for trees. Thats the only thing that bugs me though.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Yeah, I think I might agree with Will...only because I can't see the big picture.   :D 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: calico on December 14, 2007, 03:55:24 PM
Yeah, I think I might agree with Will...only because I can't see the big picture.   :D 

Well, that didn't nearly change at all....only trees were added and the cracked rocks effect was reduced.
I'll rethink my decision about the trees. I also have other nice ideas as well :)

moodflow

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 14, 2007, 05:23:11 PM

Well, that didn't nearly change at all....only trees were added and the cracked rocks effect was reduced.
I'll rethink my decision about the trees. I also have other nice ideas as well :)

Yes, well don't stop.  This is some good stuff.  I see you added some voronoi texture to some of the more vertical faces in certain areas.  This looks pretty good.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: moodflow on December 14, 2007, 07:12:58 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 14, 2007, 05:23:11 PM

Yes, well don't stop.  This is some good stuff.  I see you added some voronoi texture to some of the more vertical faces in certain areas.  This looks pretty good.

Thank you moodflow. The voronoi texture is a bit too strong, I've reduced this effect.

I'm trying to place some big boulders and want to mask them using an image mask through camera projection, but I can't get it to work, somehow. Anybody tips?

old_blaggard

This is very nice - I personally like the trees, just not as many of them.  Hopefully you'll be able to render the whoe thing soon :).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

NWsenior07

Wow the scale on this is going to be amazing. I look forward to the final render, it should be quite impressive.

Tangled-Universe

Finally I've managed to finish this image.
Well, finished, it's never finished ;)

I had an idea of placing BIG boulders here and there with nice displacements and texturing. I had it all worked out but I couldn't manage to get the image mask working properly.
I created the image mask by painting a b&w mask on top of the the original image (white where I want the stones to be) and then applying it using through camera projection.
Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work properly. Perhaps I've to start a topic about this in the discussion section, because I really don't understand why.

Ok, about the image...
I've reduced the crack-effect and also lowered the density of the populations, which was quite denser in the test renders and also the small crop I've posted about the crash a few days ago.
The combination of displacements, specularity/reflectivity and dense populations was the reason of the crash.
This one took about 29 hours to render.
I'm considering to re-render it at higher quality and resolution once I have my quad-core system up and running, but for now I consider it finished.

Please let me know what you think of it :)

Martin

Seth

i REALLY prefer it without the trees :)

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: seth93 on December 18, 2007, 01:05:54 PM
i REALLY prefer it without the trees :)

Ok, that's being noted  ;D (I tend to agree, though the awful lot of work makes me tend to like this image more haha *lol*)

Seth

hehehe totally understand what you mean ! :D

moodflow

Don't take this wrong, as this image is spectacular.

However, as stated, these trees don't work for this image the current way they are set up.

Additionally, the lighting looks odd in places, though this could be due to the render's issues (which will hopefully be improved by next update).  Did you use fill-light?

Otherwise, the rock specularity is nearly spot on!  Nice work.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

FrankB

The rock formation continues to be the really unique thing about this image - BUT with the trees (although I agree they look like they don't belong there), the impression of massiveness that the rock/mountain is receiving from the trees being there, is simply awesome.

Maybe it's just a question to have one object in the scene that doesn't look out of place, but still offers the right sense of scale. Maybe a plane? A hut and a couple of birds, smoke from a fireplace?

Cheers,
Frank