GPU; is this any good?

Started by Dune, April 10, 2021, 09:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

What do you guys think of this GPU: Quadro M4000 DDR5 8 GB (under €300, refurbished)
I was glad to find this one, but don't know if it's any good.
There's also a ASUS GTX 1060 TURBO 6GB GDDR5 for sale for same price.

Any ideas?

KlausK

I have a 1060 in one of my newer labtops. Works reasonably well (in todays tech-standard terms)
with Houdini, Blender, Lightwave, Photoshop, Fusion and Marvelous Designer.
Here is one of many comparisons you can find online where you can find some specs compared.
https://technical.city/de/video/GeForce-GTX-1060-6-GB-vs-Quadro-M4000
It`s in german, but I remember that you can read and understand that, right?
Doesn`t go too deep, just a quick overview.

If the 1060 is new, I`d go for it. Else as well. Just because it is newer technology. Overall faster.
Don`t expect it to be the end of all your future needs ;) But it should deliver good performance long enough until
prices for the more modern adapters drop to a normal level again - in a year or something like that, I`d presume.
Sure, there are much better cards out there now, but the prices gone overboard. And almost impossible to get. As you noticed.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Thanks Klaus! Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I'm still undecided and really want to upgrade. There are also still some GTX 1660 6GB for sale, which might be a better choice, at twice the price, but new. The 1060 is 'secondhand', or refurbished, with only 1 year of guarantee.
I only have to find out if they would fit (needs an 8 pin connector), and I have an asus P8Z68.

KlausK

The 8 pin connector comes from the powersupply. The mainboard has nothing to do with that.
Check your psu. When it does not have a 8-pin connector for a graphics card you could by a adapter cable for that purpose.
That mainboard has had a lot of iterations...I found a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO (B3) (LGA 1155, Intel Z68, ATX).
That came out in 2011. It has a PCI-Express x 16 slot with PCI Express Version (max.) 3 (3.0).
So the 1060 should run on it.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune

Good to have an expert in the house! Thanks again, Klaus. That is indeed my mobo, and it proves the antiquity of my current system :P
The Nexus NX5000 R3 has CPU;  4+4-pins EPS, 8-pins EPS, and dubbel 4+4/8-pins connectors.

KlausK

hehe, "expert". I just build my own computers. That`s all.
Anyway, glad it if helps getting on.
CHeers, Klaus

Nala1977

man im in need of 2x graphic cards cause im building a new machine with a 5950x, i can not find any graphic card online.. its like the world stopped lol
wtf is going on? a 1080ti selling for 1980€... o.O its insane

WAS

Yeah, pretty glad I got my RX 580 and RX 480 when I did. My RX 480 8GB Nitro refurbished is going for 875 USD. I got it for like 320 + tax. What on earth is going on is right. My RX 580, only 4GB Nitro is going for 700+ USD. Like whoooaaa.

KlausK

The graphics card shortage started in the 1st quarter of 2020. A few thing came / come together:

- the Corona lockdowns kept a lot more people at home.
The Steam game platform saw records broken for all its peak statistics in 2020 - 21% more games purchased, and 50% more hours played.

- new games for consoles crippled the older consoles - people turned to PC gaming again.

- early last year, Chinese manufacturing was temporarily limited due to the coronavirus outbreak;
later, shipping delays hit the electronics market;
and the price of Bitcoin has made "mining" - using GPUs - more lucrative.

- more demand for High End Workstations. Game Engines, VR, 3D - work from home on your own computer.

- shipping containers stuck in harbours somewhere because you were not allowed to ship or unload.

- Nvidia and AMD said last year before christmas, they could not produce enough graphics cards.
The buyers demand was simply too high. They said the situation would at least last until the end of the first quarter of 2021.
Since the situation has not really been changing it will take longer to get back to normal.

I would sit this out if you can. Think of it as a nice gift for upcoming christmas 2021! ::)

CHeers, Klaus

ps: anybody wants to buy a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti ? Only 1500$$$$$ ;D

KlausK

Kadri

I got curious and looked around for my GTX 1660 Ti.
There are only options for around 1000 $ (not much different from Amazon i think) and you can't find much actually.
Most cards are stated as "sold out".

WAS

A lot of what I find doesn't have a price, and a good portion of what did, was out of stock.

Dune

Yeah, it's very frustrating and making one do crazy things. I keep on being undecided; do I empty my wallet or do I struggle (with a grain of salt) on a year more? :(

WAS

So I found this earlier, and almost forgot about it. Glad I'm still up cause I probably would have forgotten by normal.

This may literally come in handy: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/create-a-personal-robot-that-alerts-you-when-a-product-is-back-in-stock/

You can create a free account with Uptime Robot, and then use the URL of a product you want, that's out of stock. Then use the phrase "Out of Stock" or whatever it is to search for. And when it doesn't exist set a notification. Better directions on the link.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on April 13, 2021, 02:17:00 AMYeah, it's very frustrating and making one do crazy things. I keep on being undecided; do I empty my wallet or do I struggle (with a grain of salt) on a year more? :(

I fully understand your concerns Ulco, but I think you should not put the decision off for too long.

It looks like to me that you have found two really good products and at a reasonable price too. My new system has a 4GB 1060 card (which is enough for TG and Blender object modelling, but not "wowsy" in other terms). If you have found a card which has more memory and is at this (reasonably) good price, go ahead and buy it. I think you'll be positively surprised.
(Or I can sell you my spare GTX950M for, say, 400 euro if you like.)  :P

Personally, I'd go with ASUS, though this is just me. I know what I can expect from a renowned manufacturer.

I like @KlausK's insight as well. If you plan to put your purchase on hold, you might be in for a looong wait though. And there is no guarantee that the second half of 2021 will see any economic revival.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"