Blender-made object shading horribly skewed

Started by N-drju, April 24, 2021, 02:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Quote from: KlausK on May 01, 2021, 04:36:41 AMDoesn`t PoseRay write normals, when you just load and save a object?

I think you are correct but it probably negates the initial savings in the file size.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: sboerner on April 30, 2021, 10:00:15 PMSo it would seem that Terragen's 3D preview requires the written normals, but the renderer does not, which makes sense. (Using baked-in data would speed up the preview.) Not sure I could do without proper shading in the 3D window. But if it doesn't bother you, why not?

Though if we're calculating normals (in object meshing in TG) where by default this is happening, it should just be cached from the get go, used for 3D and final render. The current working model seems just poorly done since TG can and does recalculate normals by default.

Additionally, referencing a cached TG-ified model should actually be faster than referencing the obj on disk, and re-applying TG modifiers at render time every render.

Ex. I load two of the same objects, one just has a different colour/lum or something. TG is going to reference the original model and apply modifiers like recalculating normals on both objects at render time. It could just do this at load, make a cached object, lets say Terragen Cache Object (TCO) in Terragen cache, and reference that model while TG is running. Maybe if gathering a project it spits out TGO alts then from the original OBJ/LWO files with modifiers and shader adjustments.