Is there any way to warp an image shader (camera projection) ???

Started by pclavett, May 12, 2021, 02:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclavett

I have been trying to get some strata setup that is somewhat irregular and does not look as straight even lines. I did a strata BMP with Stratagen 2 and imported it in Terragen.... into an image shader and did a camera projection for strata as in the image included ! I tried everything I could think of to makes these a bit irregular....Warp Shader, Fractal Warp and Vector Displacement and was never able to achieve a bump in those strata..... always straight and very uniform ! This might not be possible with this type of projection but my incapacity to do so is not a certainty..... by any means ! Appreciate any input ! Take care ! Paul

WAS

I think Projection is a Final Position sort of deal, so can't be warped.

Check out this example using just Plan Y

Dune

Better to use cylindrical projection, so the strata 'wrap' around the mountains. X and Z in a mix would also work. I added another little trick.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 13, 2021, 03:09:25 AMBetter to use cylindrical projection, so the strata 'wrap' around the mountains. X and Z in a mix would also work. I added another little trick.

That's some intense node work for a warp. :O Coming from Ulco, that's shocking. :P

Could just do a colour to grayscale and right into displacement input.

Dune

I don't know what you find so intense, because only the upper 4 nodes are for the warp. The rest is extra, and sure there are multiple ways of getting the strata to displace a bit, this is just one.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on May 14, 2021, 01:55:34 AMI don't know what you find so intense, because only the upper 4 nodes are for the warp. The rest is extra, and sure there are multiple ways of getting the strata to displace a bit, this is just one.
I'm just teasing. Usually you're simplifying ideas i present that are more extra.

Dune

Dune