Heightfield Merge Crash

Started by Nathan.c, May 19, 2021, 05:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan.c

This morning I was using the heightfield merge shader for obvious reasons no problem, & now Terragen instantly crashes when I connect the 2nd heightfield. I thought maybe it was my tgd that was corrupt in some way, although no waring or errors.. so I tried again with a default scene after a system clean & reboot and does the same thing.  Any Ideas ?

Kevin Kipper

Hi Nathan,

What version of Terragen are you using, and can you share the heightfields that you're trying to merge via the heightfield merge shader?

Also, we have updated the documentation for this node, which can be accessed by clicking the "Open online help for node in browser" aka the "Question Mark" button in the node's layout.

https://planetside.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Heightfield_Merge

Nathan.c

Ok tried again this morning & same thing, tried with 2 older terrains and it works fine, so something wrong with these 2 terrains, I don't know.. they work fine separately & they're both the same size.  

Latest version 4556.

Thanks.

KlausK

Confirmed. Crashes here too. Merging these two heightfields in older versions of TG does not work either.
As soon as you connect them together in the Heightfield Merge TG crashes.

Maybe try to re-create the Heightfields without exporting them to a *.ter merge those?

I tried each of the files with a heightfield I created in TG via the Heightfield Generate --> crashes too.

On the other hand if you merge the Heightfield Shaders these Heightfield Loaders are connected to with a "normal" Merge (the red one) they work. No crashes.

Maybe that helps.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Nathan.c

Thanks for testing, I won't reinstall now. It's not a major issue for me as I was just experimenting with something, it's just I don't understand why it was ok prior to that.

WAS

Export the TERs to TIFF, and try that way. reaConvert can do it for free.

WAS

I just tried this, and the TER files definitely appear to be broken. Not probably TG. reaConvert can't even read the files to convert them.

Are these TER real TER files Terragen can read? Or old school game engine TER files which are totally different?

Nathan.c

TER files exported from World Machine. As for TIFF, they were originally then imported into WM & exported as TERs. I'm not continuing with that project anyway, but it's odd how they work individually but not merged.

WAS

World Machine must of hiccuped, or is exporting the maps with odd settings or errors. I can't even load the TERs outside of TG with any other software that handles them.

KlausK

Now I saved the original *.ter heightfields (Right-Click on Heightfield Loader --> Save file as...) from within Terragen, closed and restarted TG and loaded the newly created *.ter files with Heightfield Load and merged them.
Made no difference. Instant crash.
I would have thought TG would rewrite them out differently, corrected or something...

Last, but not least:
My old version of WorldMachine. It`s 2.37 Pro.
I exported some of the Example Worlds as *.ter and was able to merge them in TG.
No Crashes there.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)