Terror Bird

Started by WAS, May 22, 2021, 03:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Haven't posted anything in a while, and honestly I haven't had much inspiration. Things have been very rough at home, and despite some support for people here I don't want to accidentally let any of that stress overflow here. You all deserve better, and this is a wonderful community.

In any case, I found a model which I really did like, so I threw together a little scene for it. I did render out a large version but I slapped in the terror bird after doing the vegetation, and of course the TGO had a bunch of shaders disabled so it rendered black, and I forgot to re-enable the clouds. Lol So I did a quick render and used the surface depth from the large to add some DOF.

Vegetation is xfrog trees, and some of my basic field grass with some wind sweeping. Terror bird is from sketchfab, and free. I did mix the model with a SSS version so there is some slight SSS though not as noticeable from this angle as it's mostly noticeable with backlighting for under feathers, and the beak.

Stormlord

Looks good and the beast seams to be a fury.
Why not make a chicken run from it?

Some blood splatters on the lens and this scene could be the next favorite horror desktop....lol....

STORMLORD

cyphyr

That must be terrifying to actually meet!

Only crit is the feathers look kind of metallic (which some feather do)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

WAS

Quote from: cyphyr on May 22, 2021, 07:45:48 PMOnly crit is the feathers look kind of metallic (which some feather do)

This was actually an issue I had with it. I mean, it would have been cool if it was a vibrant colour set, like a parrot. But what they did is kinda like turkey, or something. I'm not too partial with that aspect. Additionally, it's a scanned model, so all the UVs are orgered by size and shape, not relevance, so nearly impossible to alter the textures, could only do really uniform edits as some texture parts are absolutely tiny and incomprehensible.

One thing I don't like about UV texture gens. Some allow you to rearrange stuff, but usually automatic, and not very human-readable.

A better roughness may help. It had none, which made a plastic matte looking render, so I had to gen some roughness, which was hard cause couldn't really relate much to what was actually on the model. Just part of the legs and beak and eyes lol

Dune

Cool. The DOF makes it look like a miniature scene.

mhaze

Jo Kariboo

Nice picture. Perhaps opt for the well-felt parody and not for a faithful reproduction of reality. To have good quality 3d objects it always takes $$$.

WAS

Its a pretty good object imo. Just generated UVs by algorithm so creating PBR materials that don't bleed onto close small shapes, or bleed onto themselves is hard. It inly came with the color texture from the scan

WAS

Here is a larger version, which also includes a hunter which makes the terror bird a bit oversized, but oh well.

I also think I may replace the grasses or improve the textures and variation.

Jo Kariboo

Besides the turf, which I also find oversized, the hunter is dressed for the cold that does not match the summer vegetation. The image has good rendering and potential.

Stormlord

It gets closer and closer to a horror desktop...

STORMLORD

WAS

Quote from: Jo Kariboo on May 23, 2021, 06:01:56 PMBesides the turf, which I also find oversized, the hunter is dressed for the cold that does not match the summer vegetation. The image has good rendering and potential.

Funny you note that. I couldn't use my mountain or  thawing snow terrain cause there is an issue with patch sizes and sooth surfaces. So what looked amazing up close and far away without any surface disps, would turn into a sheer peak mess on the mountain. So that's all disabled. The distant mountain has a much larger patch size for texturing work, but that exaggerates the smooth surface bug.

Nevertheless, firs pretty much stay green year round, and the grass was meant to be more dead and rotting over winter than light tan and bleached from drying out in the sun. Additionally mornings may still be pretty cold in areas. We get highs in 70s right now but 35-40 at night (32 is is 0 Celsius). And thats exaggerated in the forest here with it feeling much cooler, for longer, due to the canopies.

cocateho26

To quote the kid from Jurrasic Park "It's just a giant chicken!"  ;) Both the bird and the hunter look like really good models, although with the current posing the hunter doesn't seem to give 2 s**** about the feathery death headed her way.

I agree on the grass, it's a good start but more variation to look more like a wild meadow or prairie would bring the realism up a notch.

WAS

Quote from: cocateho26 on May 23, 2021, 08:49:00 PMalthough with the current posing the hunter doesn't seem to give 2 s**** about the feathery death headed her way.

Yeah she is biding her time watching. I would too if you knew it was going to attack, then lunge that spear up into it. Reminds me of The Edge (Good movie imo) and the final bear fight scene.

I actually did try warping her arm up (no skeleton) but apparently the wholes UVs (black model with textures warping around in a few spots out of place) went to crap, so I think I did it wrong.

WAS

Any suggestions for plants form xfrog for the field? I haven't really gone through them all with attention to detail so not sure what to look for.

PS Stormlord, I did try to find a chicken to do a scene like you had mentioned, but all the chickens weren in static blank stare pose with their feed side by side. I was going to do a parody one with a rubber chicken but it was just flat so looked odd just sticking up from the grass like a rubber-chicken spike.