Yellow Mountains - Vector Displacement

Started by KlausK, May 28, 2021, 07:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

A little bit of blue node vector displacement. Also some masks are extracted by means of vector functions.
Plants are self-made and lowres but look good enough here - and the scene renders quite fast that way.

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

WAS

Pretty interesting landscape. Reminds me of some of the yellow looking lower foot hills in some parts of Egypt

Dune

Interesting indeed. A little too harsh in color for my taste, but that's personal. Was this an experiment or meant as realistic landscape? In the latter case I'd patch up the vegetation a bit more.
And I don't see the vector displacement part. I'd imagine some lateral displacements if you do vdisp anyway. Very nice to experiment with, either in TG by PF's into build vector or in Photoshop.

KlausK

Thanks @WAS
Thanks @Dune

There was no intention to make it realistic, no. Just messing about...
I simply start with a few nodes and see what happens.
This landscape is build up from one PowerFractal and then blue nodes.
Mainly "Displacement to Vector" and "Vector to Colour" nodes.
No lateral displacement at all - at least not in the usual way.
I was trying to separate parts of the PF by means of getting different masks from the "Vector to Colour" nodes,
then transforming those masks and layer them, sort of. The smaller "terrasses" were build that way.
Usually these long vertical displacements are very harsh and broken up. Never could get them smooth in a simple way.
The Vector Displacement seems to work better here. But it is acually just a few nodes and only a first step.
I am trying to get a grip on how to use vectors as sort of building blocks.
There are easier ways to get there, for sure but easy is not the main concern of this execise.

The vegatation is merely there to fill the void in the foreground.
I rendered a lighter, less saturated version too. But I liked this one better.

I will surely come back to this in a few weeks, next to come are three weeks of kajaking. YES, finally!

CHeers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Dune