uv on Pine

Started by Valentina, June 17, 2021, 09:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valentina

Hi everyone, I'm trying to make a close shot of a population of pines (the ones from Walli Plant if I remember well), but the bark texture didn't look good, so I checked it with a black/white texture. I've tried every uv setting available in the shader, but it looks like the bark uvs aren't unwrapped, as you can see with the checker on. 
Is there any way to fix this or I should just consider these populations as useless for closer point of views?
Many thanks

Valentina

Bark.jpg

Dune

They look unwrapped, but the branch texture is just smaller than the bark. perhaps you could try another bark texture.

WAS

Could probably split the object by UV, so you can apply your own texture to the branches and increase scale.

sboerner

Well, the uvs look stretched, too. The checks probably should be square. Do you have another app that you can use to rescale the uvs? Blender would work.

WAS

Isn't UV stretching kinda common with vegetation to vary the textures use, similar to branches being smaller, as younger growth. The issue I see is no blending.

I don't have any trees that map the texture as it is, honestly. Xfrog, sketchfab, viz, etc. And branches always either use smaller UV or entirely different texture.

Dune

In Speedtree (and probably other apps) you can set the number of times a texture is repeated along the length of a trunk/branch (and its winding, which is not applied here), so if you can't find a decent texture to fit this stretched UV, you could also make a dedicated 'Y-compressed' one.
Blending can be done in Speedtree but not in every app.

Valentina

Hi, thank you for your answers.
Those uvs haven't been opened, as I expect uvs correctly unwrapped to look like the image attached.
uvs.jpg

With squares all over the place, while here not only they are quite stretched on the trunk, but even of different scales whithin the same branch.
Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.
In the terragen shader I have only one general 'trunk' slot for this model, so I cannot use different textures. This model comes from the wally plant library that we can freely download along with terragen and probably since they are free models, they are not good for close point of views.
Sadly I cannot afford Speedtree, (even if I'd love to) and maybe I can try and buy some models or some small collection from xfrog for example. Are they good for close shots? Do you have any advice for where to buy vegetation models and which are the best in your opinion?
Thank you

Dune

You might be interested in this topic I just posted: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29318.0.html
A free tree making software. I don't know how good (or bad) it is, but worth a try.
You can use XFrog trees for close up. If they're not good enough, you can try subdividing in Poseray.
Speedtree also sells trees, btw. https://store.speedtree.com/speedtree-store/filters/product_cat/visual-effects-v8/

WAS

Honestly those UVs don't look right, and will warp the texture around noticeably. Look at the base UV and around branches

TreeIt is pretty decent, but will crash all foliage once you get near enough. So plants are pretty bear and require sprigs with lots of foliage on them to create the appearance of dense vegetation. ngPlant is a little more powerful in geometry, but more in-depth when it comes to setting up foliage.

Valentina

Quote from: Dune on June 19, 2021, 08:59:18 AMYou might be interested in this topic I just posted: https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,29318.0.html
A free tree making software. I don't know how good (or bad) it is, but worth a try.
You can use XFrog trees for close up. If they're not good enough, you can try subdividing in Poseray.
Speedtree also sells trees, btw. https://store.speedtree.com/speedtree-store/filters/product_cat/visual-effects-v8/

Quote from: WAS on June 19, 2021, 01:43:20 PMHonestly those UVs don't look right, and will warp the texture around noticeably. Look at the base UV and around branches

TreeIt is pretty decent, but will crash all foliage once you get near enough. So plants are pretty bear and require sprigs with lots of foliage on them to create the appearance of dense vegetation. ngPlant is a little more powerful in geometry, but more in-depth when it comes to setting up foliage.
Thank you for all your suggestions, I'll definitely try them